News
‘Fresh PDP’ Bows, Embraces Secondus-led PDP


Members of the ‘Fresh PDP’ on Saturday willingly dissolved the group after a marathon meeting with some chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Led by Chief Olukayode Akindele, the group agreed to drop its decision to create a breakaway faction of the opposition party and pledged loyalty to the Uche Secondus-led PDP.
The decision was reached after a peace meeting held at the Abuja residence of a former National Chairman of the PDP, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, in Abuja.
Notable among those present at the meeting were a member of the party’s Board of Trustees (BoT), Senator Stella Omu and the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbodiyan.
Besides Akindele, other members of the Fresh PDP at the meeting were Duru Ihuoma and Franklyne Edederan who lost out at the party’s December 9 convention.
The Fresh PDP had, mid-December, opened its parallel secretariat PDP in Abuja to register its dissatisfaction with the outcome of the convention.
The group has also renounced its plans to inaugurate a separate National Executive Committee on Monday, January 22.
Speaking after the meeting, Nwodo disclosed that the reconciliatory process enjoyed the backing of the national leadership of the party and the BoT.
According to him, no conditions were given by the group for agreeing to dissolve itself, stressing that members were enthusiastic youths that would be useful to the PDP in the 2019 elections.
Also speaking after the meeting, Ologbondiyan declared that the group’s grievances had been addressed and that the PDP remained united across the country and in the diaspora.
Nwodo described the disbandment of the group as the best gift the PDP can give to Nigerians, saying, “A lot of people thought our house was divided and was about to cascade down.
“But we want to assure you that by God’s mercy, an internal reconciliation capacity of the PDP, the cracks that you noticed have been completely sealed off”.
The ex-party chairman stated that the PDP will displace the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2019, adding that the government has proven to be insensitive to the feelings of Nigerians.
He noted that the administration has failed in its duty of protecting the lives of the citizenry and therefore has no business being in government.
Nwodo said, “Today, by what has happened here, we are sending a powerful signal across the country that the PDP wants to assure all Nigerians that we will not disappoint you.”
“The members of the Fresh PDP that is now disbanded are young vibrant politicians. If a leader is leading, and nobody is following, he is taking a walk. PDP is leading and mentoring the young ones to take over.
“The wish of a father is that his offspring will be bigger than him. If a father does not bring an offspring that will surpass him, he is not a good father. It means he doesn’t want his future to be better than his past”.
Erstwhile chairman of Fresh PDP, Chief Olukayode Akindele, stated that his members were forced to breakaway owing to what he described as acts of impunity in the party.
Akindele said, “But the issue of impunity and imposition had forced us into this situation because in PDP we don’t have any mechanism to address it.
We have a mechanism for reconciliation. Reconciliation is when you have a dispute.
“But when a criminal political act is committed, then what you need is restitution. But we have received assurances from our leaders here that this will be addressed and today while it marks the end of Fresh PDP, it brings a PDP that is caring and wants to address issues that may affect it in the primaries.
“We have been having these meetings for a long time. An executive meeting was held at 5am today (yesterday) in the interest of the nation and the party so that we won’t have a parallel NWC come Monday.
“That has been cancelled and we have surrendered the list to our leader here and we want to assure that this is the best thing that can happen to PDP”. (Nation)
News
PRCAN Mourns the Passing of NIPR Council Member, Bashir Chedi


The Public Relations Consultants Association of Nigeria (PRCAN) has received with deep shock and sadness the news of the passing of Mallam Bashir Chedi, a distinguished member of the Council of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR), who died at the age of 65.
In a statement issued by PRCAN, the Association described the late Chedi as an accomplished professional, a consummate communicator, and a pillar of integrity whose contributions to the growth of public relations in Nigeria will remain indelible.
“Mallam Bashir Chedi was a respected voice in our profession, a mentor to many, and an advocate of ethical practice. His departure is not only a great loss to the NIPR family but also to the larger communication and public relations community in Nigeria,” PRCAN said.
The Association extended its condolences to Dr. Ike Neliaku, President and Chairman of Council of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations, the NIPR Council, the family of the deceased, and the entire PR community, praying that Almighty God grants them the strength to bear the loss.
“While we mourn his passing, we take solace in the impactful legacy he has left behind, one that will continue to inspire present and future generations of PR practitioners,” the statement added.
News
Mbah to NBA: “Law, the Conscience of the Nation, Justice Sector Reform, a Cornerstone of Our Administration”
By ORJI ISRAEL


Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Peter Mbah, has reminded lawyers that the law is more than a profession, as it serves as the conscience of the nation.
Mbah, who spoke during the opening of the 2025 Annual General Conference, AGC, of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, at the International Conference Centre, Enugu, on Sunday, also restated the commitment of his administration to justice sector reform, saying that it remained the cornerstone of his government.
“Let me say this: the theme of this year’s conference, ‘Stand Out, Stand Tall,’ is a timely reminder of the responsibility we bear as lawyers and leaders. The law is not just a profession – it is the conscience of the nation. We are not only courtroom advocates; we are also defenders of truth, architects of peace, and champions of equity,” he said.
Listing some concrete steps by his administration towards justice sector reform, the governor said, “Since assuming office, we have made justice sector reform a cornerstone of our governance. Just a few examples will suffice.
“We were among the first states to fully implement financial autonomy for the judiciary in line with Section 121(3) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended). This has enhanced the efficiency, independence, and dignity of our courts.
“We have carried out a comprehensive rehabilitation and digitization of our courtrooms across the three senatorial zones. The High Court Complex in Enugu is equipped with e-filing, virtual hearing facilities, and an integrated case management system.
“To decongest our courts and promote alternative dispute resolution, we have strengthened and expanded the Enugu Multi-Door Courthouse, making it a model in the region for commercial and family dispute settlement.
“Through partnership with civil society and the NBA, we have expanded access to pro bono legal services for indigent citizens and detainees, especially in our rural areas. No one should be too poor to afford justice.
“We have also carried out an extensive codification and review of obsolete state laws to reflect modern realities, ensure gender justice, and promote the ease of doing business in Enugu.
“Perhaps one of the reforms I am proudest of – we introduced real-time transcription for our courts. Attaining Verbatim Reporting for the courts has eliminated the strain of longhand recording on judges, cut down on delays and improved productivity,” he said.
He, however, asserted that none of the reforms was an end in itself, noting that they remained part of a broader vision of his government towards making Enugu State the preferred destination for investment, innovation, and inclusive development.
“From smart schools, safe communities to accessible healthcare – our vision cannot be achieved without a justice system that is fair, functional, and trusted,” he added.
The opening ceremony was chaired by the Sultan of Sokoto, His Eminence, Dr. Sa’ad Abubakar III, while the keynote address was given by charismatic leader of the Economic Freedom Fighters of South Africa and a member of country’s national parliament, Julius Malema.
News
70% of Christians killed in 2024 are African – Group
ORJI ISRAEL reports that the group accused ANC of maintaining silence on religious persecution, while deepening ties with ideological extremists in Tehran


Recent reports indicate that over 4,400 Christians were murdered for their faith last year, while over the past decade, jihadist violence has driven 16 million Christians from their homes, millions of which are African citizens.
This is according to global Christian charity, Open Doors, which also confirms that for every five Christians, one will face persecution in Africa specifically.
Open Doors’ 2025 World Watch List reveals the top 10 most dangerous countries for Christians are dominated by Islamic states in the Middle East and Africa, including Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia, Libya, and Nigeria. A more detailed UK Parliament briefing recently noted that 70% of Christians killed in 2024 were indeed in Africa.
Over the last six months, the brutality against Christians in Africa has escalated to alarming levels, with a series of devastating attacks across the continent. Just last month, ISIL-affiliated rebels stormed a Catholic church in Komanda, DRC, murdering close to 50 worshippers, including women and children. That same month in Mozambique, Islamic State fighters captured and beheaded six Christians from Natocua village, just across South Africa’s border. A month earlier, in June 2025, armed militants in Nigeria massacred nearly 200 Christian civilians in Yelwata village.
“What we are witnessing is not random violence or isolated attacks. It is a deliberate, coordinated campaign by jihadist networks to wipe Christianity from vast regions of Africa and the Middle East,” says SAFI spokesperson, Bafana Modise. “These acts of terror are the early stages of a genocide against Christians, and history will record who spoke out and who shamefully looked away. Tragically, the ANC has chosen the latter.”
This silence is even more damning in light of last week’s news that South Africa’s military chief, Gen. Rudzani Maphwanya, met with Iranian Maj. Gen. Amir Hatami in Tehran to discuss deepening military and strategic ties, when Iran remains one of the world’s most notorious persecutors of Christians.
A recent report by the Middle East Africa Research Institute (MEARI) warned that Pretoria’s deepening ties with Tehran has compromised South Africa’s democratic foundations by defending Iran at the UN and IAEA, downplaying its human rights abuses, and potentially benefitting from covert support, including speculation around the ANC’s repayment of a multi-million-rand debt shortly after filing the ICJ case against Israel.
“These atrocities are not just crimes against individuals; they are part of a war against the freedom of religion itself,” Modise warns. “This is religious genocide, and it is gaining momentum as it edges closer to South Africa’s borders.”
Instead of defending religious freedom, the ANC government has remained silent. It has issued no meaningful condemnation or rallying call to protect persecuted Christians: “The ANC has done nothing to defend the rights of Christians,” says Modise. “Instead, it has squandered South Africa’s moral standing on discredited genocide charges against Israel – the one country in the Middle East where Christians live in safety and equality.”
This betrayal is even more unforgivable in a nation where 80% of South Africans identify as Christian. Freedom of religion is a fundamental human right, but the ANC, once the global champion of human rights, has made its bed with regimes and groups that have used Islamic law to suppress and destroy those freedoms.
“The ANC’s alliances make it clear: they have abandoned South Africa’s Christians, choosing friendship with the very forces driving this campaign of genocide,” Modise concludes. “Silence in the face of such evil is complicity, and the ANC is guilty of both. They have aligned themselves with Jihadist Islamic ideology, without further thought.”
We call on every pastor, every congregation, and every believer to demand that the ANC account for its indifference and betrayal. The blood of persecuted Christians cries out from across the African continent. If South Africa will not stand with them now, the day may come when their fate becomes our own.
-
News2 days ago
PRCAN Mourns the Passing of NIPR Council Member, Bashir Chedi
-
Sports3 days ago
Hope Uzodimma Backs Chiney Ogwumike’s Vision for Girl-Child Empowerment Through Sports
-
Energy2 days ago
Gov Mbah Revamps, Upgrades Nigergas after 30-year Dormancy
-
Culture2 days ago
Okhma hosts high-level investment pitch for 70 brands ahead of Carnival Calabar 2025