News
Gadaffi’s hit men are killer herdsmen in Nigeria- Buhari


Asked who are the killer-herdsmen, President Muhammadu Buhari said they are gunmen trained by the late Libyan President Muammar Gadaffi.
The President spoke at the Abuja House in London when Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby visited him.
The gunmen, he said, escaped into Nigeria and other West African countries after Gadaffi’s death.
He spoke, even as suspected herdsmen killed 13 people in Benue and Nasarawa states on Tuesday.
Responding to Welby’s comment on the herdsmen and farmers’ clashes in some parts of the country, Buhari said: “The problem is even older than us. It has always been there, but now made worse by the influx of gunmen from the Sahel region into different parts of the West African sub-region.
“They were trained and armed by Muammar Gadaffi of Libya. When he was killed, the gunmen escaped with their arms. We encountered some of them fighting with Boko Haram.
“Herdsmen that we used to know carried only sticks and maybe a cutlass to clear the way, but these ones now carry sophisticated weapons. The problem is not religious, but sociological and economic. But we are working on solutions.”
The President said “irresponsible politics” had been brought into the farmers/herders’ crisis, promising that enduring solutions would be found, and justice done to all concerned.
He said he declared his second-term bid on Monday before his London trip because many Nigerians were “talking too much” about whether he was going to run or not.
A statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, quoted him as saying: “I declared before leaving home because Nigerians were talking too much about whether I would run or not.
“So, I felt I should break the ice. We have many things to focus on, like security, agriculture, economy, anti-corruption, and many others. We needed to concentrate on them, and politics should not be a distraction.
“The majority of Nigerians appreciate what we are doing, and that is why I am re-contesting.”
On Leah Sharibu, the Dapchi schoolgirl still being held by insurgents, reportedly because she refused to renounce her faith, the President said: “We are managing the matter quietly. Making noise would not help. We are collecting as much intelligence as possible, working with the Red Cross and other international organisations.
“There are too many fraudulent people around, who claim they can do this and that. We won’t deal with them. That was how we got the Dapchi girls back, and the Chibok girls.”
The President also recounted some successes of his administration, especially in agriculture.
“We have cut the importation of rice by about 90%, saving billions of dollars in the process. People who rushed into petrol money have now gone back to agriculture. Even professionals have gone back to the land. Nigeria should be able to feed itself comfortably soon. I am so pleased,” he said.
On the war against insurgency, he stressed the need for continuous education of the people, “so that they can be free from religious manipulation,” adding that no true religion advocates the hurting or killing of the innocent.
Archbishop Welby said it was always a delight to see President Buhari, “whom I have tremendous respect for,” adding: “You have my best wishes on your recent decision. I read your declaration speech. We are neutral as a church, but we will pray for you. Great statesmen are those who run for the good of their country. We will be praying for you.”
The Archbishop presented President Buhari with a copy of his recent book: “Reimagining Britain. Foundations for Hope”. (The Nation)


The Guild of Private Broadcast Managers has extended its heartfelt congratulations to the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) as it celebrates its 70th Anniversary.
In a congratulatory message signed by the Guild’s National President, Ambassador Patrick Uzoyi-Peters, JP MNGRM, the guild described the milestone as a testament to the NUJ’s unwavering commitment to upholding press freedom, journalistic integrity, and the advancement of democracy in Nigeria.
“For seven decades, the NUJ has played a pivotal role in shaping the media landscape, advocating for the rights and welfare of journalists, and ensuring that the voice of the people remains strong and unyielding. Your resilience, professionalism, and dedication to ethical journalism have been instrumental in fostering transparency, accountability, and national development”.
Celebrating this historic achievement, the Guild’s President, Uzoyi-Peters recognized the sacrifices and contributions of journalists across the nation who work tirelessly to inform, educate, and empower society.
The Guild reiterated it commitment towards collaborating with the NUJ in promoting responsible journalism and strengthening the media industry for the greater good.
While wishing the NUJ continued success, growth, and greater impact in the years ahead, President Uzoyi-Peters prayed that the anniversary serve as a renewed call to uphold the principles of truth, fairness, and press freedom in our collective pursuit of a more informed and just society.
News
Family Marks one-year Memorial of Late APC Chieftain, Ojougboh with Charity Outreach
By Ikenna Oluka


The family of the late chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, led by his wife, Mrs. Bose Ojougboh, marked his one-year memorial anniversary with a series of charitable initiatives aimed at honoring his legacy of philanthropy and service to society.
The memorial activities included the donation of school books and bags to pupils of Erigbe Primary School, in Agbor within the Ika South Local Government Area (LGA) of Delta State, where Dr. Ojougboh had received his early education.
The outreach also included extension of financial assistance to patients at Central Hospital, Agbor, and the provision of toiletries, cash, and food items to children at the Salve Regina Children’s Home, Agbor.
The outreach was carried out under the ‘Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation’, a family-led initiative established to immortalise him and continue his lifelong commitment to education, healthcare, and social welfare.
Speaking during the event which took place recently, Mrs. Ojougboh reaffirmed the family’s dedication to sustaining the ideals of the late APC chieftain, describing him as a man who strongly believed in education and giving back to society.
“We are here to celebrate the life of my husband, Late Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, who passed on a year ago. In his honour, we decided to give back to society. He was a man who valued education and was always willing to help others. It is only fitting that we continue his legacy through acts of generosity,” she stated.
Honouring his passion for education
The first visit was to Erigbe Primary School, where Dr. Ojougboh had received his early education. The Foundation distributed school bags, writing materials, and food packs to the pupils. The family encouraged the pupils to take their education seriously and strive to become responsible citizens.
Supporting patients at Central Hospital, Agbor
At Central Hospital, Agbor, Mrs. Ojougboh and her entourage moved through the medical wards, offering financial support to patients to assist with their treatment costs. The hospital staff and beneficiaries responded with prayers and words of gratitude for the kind gesture.
Reaching out to orphaned children
The outreach team also visited Salve Regina Children’s Home in Agbor where they donated cash, food items, and toiletries to the children.


The Matron of the home expressed her deep appreciation to the Ojougboh family, commending their commitment to sustaining the late politician’s legacy of compassion and social impact.
Dr. Cairo Ojougboh’s enduring legacy
Reflecting on her late husband’s contributions to society, Mrs. Ojougboh emphasised that his legacy of generosity and service to humanity would not be forgotten.
“Dr. Cairo was a selfless man who touched many lives. His contributions to the Nigerian political landscape, his mark in Agbor Kingdom, Delta State, and the country at large, will always be remembered. He may be gone, but his impact will continue to be felt for generations,” she said.
The Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation has pledged to continue supporting education, healthcare, and social welfare initiatives in his memory, ensuring that his vision for a better society lives on.
News
Widows, Wives and More than 2,000 Residents of Ikeja Police Barracks Benefit from YP4T’s Initiative


More than 2,000 individuals from the Ikeja Police Barracks community benefited from an impactful outreach program spearheaded by Young Professionals for Tinubu (YP4T), an advocacy and support group working in alignment with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The initiative provided critical medical services, care packages, food supplies, and financial assistance to widows, wives, and vulnerable residents, demonstrating the heart of nation-building through community-centered support.
The program, which united healthcare professionals, community organizers, and volunteers, complemented the government’s broader efforts to bring essential services closer to the people.
Residents of the Ikeja Police Barracks received free medical consultations, blood pressure and diabetes screenings, and wellness advice. Widows and families also left with care packages filled with food items, toiletries, and financial support to help alleviate the pressures of the holiday season.
Dr. Love V. Tinuoye, CEO of Medvita Consultancy and the lead doctor on-site, reflected on the impact:
“This initiative reflects a collective commitment to advancing healthcare in Nigeria. We were able to screen for and address critical health issues such as hypertension and diabetes while also providing preventive care like vaccinations and cancer screenings. This is what true community-focused care looks like.”
Beyond medical services, the outreach distributed care packages containing food staples, toiletries, and financial support, designed to alleviate the challenges faced by vulnerable members of the police barracks community.
The event highlights the ongoing efforts under the Renewed Hope Agenda to provide inclusive support for Nigerians across the country. Initiatives like this not only extend access to essential services but also strengthen the fabric of communities.
Mrs. Jumoke Elom, a businesswoman and beneficiary, shared her gratitude:
“I am deeply grateful for this program. The care my family received today—both medical and material—has given us hope and reminded us that we are not alone. It shows that there is real support for families like mine.”
The outreach program was also a platform for demonstrating the principles of nation-building through collaborative action. Alex Oware, Security Expert and Director of YP4T, explained the motivation behind the initiative: “The Renewed Hope Agenda is about about bringing real transformation to communities. This initiative embodies that vision by supporting over 2,000 people—not just through tangible resources, but by reaffirming their place in the collective growth of our nation. It lies at the soul of Renewed Hope: fostering resilience and creating opportunities for all Nigerians.”
The outreach program extended beyond healthcare, providing food and financial support to families within the police barracks. A touching moment involved a widow who, after receiving her care package, expressed her gratitude with tears of joy. Her story is just one of many that reflect the transformative power of collective action.
This initiative by YP4T—an advocacy and support group of Nigerian professionals from across the globe—represents a continued commitment to driving grassroots impact, inspired by President Tinubu’s vision. The success of the Ikeja outreach program demonstrates the power of collaboration between the public and private sectors to deliver meaningful change across Nigeria.