Connect with us

News

Black Sunday in Plateau State

Published

on

Plateau State was on Sunday thrown into mourning with the killing of 86 persons in the attacks on about 11 communities in the Gashish District by suspected Fulani herdsmen.

The Police Command in Plateau State had earlier on Sunday confirmed the attacks, saying it had only recovered 11 corpses from some of the villages. But residents had insisted that about 200 people were killed by the marauding herdsmen.

However, the police later issued a statement that indicated that the death toll in the attack on the communities in the Barkin Ladi Local Government Area on Saturday night had risen to 86.

It added that six people were injured, 50 houses burnt, 15 motorcycles razed while two motor vehicles were torched.

The spokesperson for the Plateau State Police Command, Matthias Tyopev, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, in an updated statement issued on Sunday night, said the earlier 11 death toll in the attacks was due to the information at its disposal as of then before the arrival of the search and rescue team from the Barkin Ladi LGA.

Tyopev had identified the 11 corpses as Dalyop Vanode, Dom Danladi, Bururu Wade, Joju Rala,Titus Danladi, Bitrus Malat, Alu Matir, Noron Monday, Cecilia Yohana, Dam Bulus and Ladi Danladi.

He said, “Sequel to the attack in the Gashish District of Barkin Ladi LGA yesterday (Saturday) June 23, 2018, the Commissioner of Police, Plateau State Command, Jos, Undie Adie, after deploying more personnel in the district sent a search and rescue team from the Command headquarters today (Sunday) for an on-the-spot assessment.

“The team headed by ACP Edeh John of the Department of Operations had also the DPO of the Barkin Ladi Division and a Unit Commander from Mopol 38. After a careful search of the villages attacked in the District,  the following were discovered: 86 persons altogether were killed, six people injured, 50 houses burnt, 15 motorcycles and two motor vehicles also burnt.

“The team also carried out a detailed deployment. Corpses were released to the families for burial. The command earlier in the day confirmed only 11 people dead as the result of the attacks due to the information at its disposal before the arrival of the search and rescue team from the Barkin Ladi LGA. This is to update members of the public of the situation as regards the attacks in the Gashish District as promised earlier on.”

Also, there were fears that some soldiers were missing during the attack but the Commander of the Special Military Task Force codenamed Operation Safe Haven, Maj. Gen. Anthony Atolagbe, dismissed the report. He said, “it’s not true, no soldier died and no soldier is missing.”

While the Peoples Democratic Party and the Christian Association of Nigeria, called on the global community to rescue Plateau State from the attacks, the Plateau State Government imposed a dusk to dawn curfew in the Riyom, Barkin Ladi and Jos South LGAs.

The decision, according to the government, is to avert the breakdown of law and order.

A statement issued on Sunday by the Secretary to the State Government, Rufus Bature, said  movement would be  restricted from 6 pm to 6 am, except those on essential duties.

“The soil of Plateau smells with rotten dead bodies as a result of silent killings and many people are missing,” CAN stated.

The attack was said to have been launched at Xland. Gindin Akwati, Ruku, Nghar, Kura Falls and Kakuruk all in Gashish District were completely sacked by the assailants.

Other areas affected by the attacks included Rakok, Kok and Razat in the Ropp District.

The Chairman, Public Accounts and Petition Committee in the Plateau State House of Assembly representing the Barkin Ladi constituency, Peter  Gyendeng , in an interview with The PUNCH on Sunday said the attacks were a declaration of war on his constituency.

He claimed that mercenaries were hired to kill people in the Barkin Ladi LGA.

Gyendeng said, “As a matter of fact, the casualty rate is in hundreds; it is more than 100. In one place, it is above 51, in another, over 32 and yet in another area, it is same. For now, based on what we have on the ground and the corpses that we have been receiving, it is probably over 200 casualties.

“Altogether, about 11 villages were attacked and our people are there now trying to ascertain the number of deaths. The casualty rate is above 200 and counting (of the corpses) is still going on.

“This is war; it is a declaration of war on my people. War has been declared on the Barkin Ladi LGA completely. There are mercenaries that have been hired to come and kill people in the Barkin Ladi LGA. The killing started around 11pm last (Saturday) night till this (Sunday) morning. And the killing still continues.”

Reacting to the killings, the PDP described Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State as an “absentee governor, who had been out of the state for the past three weeks.

The party called on the international community to “come to the aid of Plateau people as apart from  the over 130 people killed, many are missing.”

The PDP in a statement by its Publicity Secretary in Plateau State, John Akans, described the attacks as genocide.

He said, “We received with rude shock the level of genocide going on now in the Gashish District, Razat, Ruku Nyarr and Gana-Ropp, all in the Barkin Ladi LGA. We also note with great pains the dastardly attacks ongoing in many other LGAs in the state by the Fulani militias.

“We condemn, in the strongest terms, the level of continuous genocidal attacks on Plateau people. At the moment, Barkin Ladi is under siege by the marauders with over 130 people feared to have been killed. As of the time of issuing this statement, CAPRO School of Missions-SOM in Gana-Ropp is under heavy attack by the militia.

“…We call on the international community to come to the aid of Plateau people as beside the over 130 people killed, many are missing. While we mourn our people, we are calling on this failed, incompetent and ineffective APC government at all levels to, for once, be sensitive by discharging its constitutional responsibility of protecting lives and properties of its citizens.

“While killings are going on, the President (Muhammadu Buhari) is busy telling members of the international community that Nigeria is safe for investment and tourism.

“While the Federal Government is planning to pump hundreds of billions of naira into the construction of cattle ranches in states, killings are ongoing in states that have not put in place any ban on open grazing.”

But the Plateau State Government commiserated with citizens especially, Xland, Gindin Akwati communities of the Barkin Ladi LGA, saying it held every single life as sacred.

The government requested citizens to use the “early warning system” mechanism recently launched by Operation Rainbow on 30812 for SMS and 09060100010 for voice calls.

A statement by the Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Yakubu Dati, said the government was deeply pained that despite concerted efforts which had led to the restoration of relative peace in the state, “some unpatriotic elements are bent on disrupting the gains so far made.”

He said, “The government condemns these attacks and has mobilised the full compliments of security forces and they are restoring normalcy in the affected areas and the environs. Furthermore, the government holds every single life as sacred hence has mobilised medical and relief agencies to ameliorate the suffering of those in distress.

“As a government, we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure environment that will guarantee peaceful coexistence among the various groups in the state as we remain resolute to the well being of our people.”

Source: Punch

GrassRoots.ng is on a critical mission; to objectively and honestly represent the voice of ‘grassrooters’ in International, Federal, State and Local Government fora; heralding the achievements of political and other leaders and investors alike, without discrimination. This daily, digital news publication platform serves as the leading source of up-to-date information on how people and events reflect on the global community. The pragmatic articles reflect on the life of the community people, covering news/current affairs, business, technology, culture and fashion, entertainment, sports, State, National and International issues that directly impact the locals.

News

NUJ at 70: Private Broadcast Members Congratulate Union

Reporter: Ikenna Oluka

Published

on

NUJ at 70
NUJ

The Guild of Private Broadcast Managers  has extended its heartfelt congratulations to the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) as it celebrates its 70th Anniversary.

In a congratulatory message signed by the Guild’s National President, Ambassador Patrick Uzoyi-Peters, JP MNGRM, the guild described the milestone as a testament to the NUJ’s unwavering commitment to upholding press freedom, journalistic integrity, and the advancement of democracy in Nigeria.

“For seven decades, the NUJ has played a pivotal role in shaping the media landscape, advocating for the rights and welfare of journalists, and ensuring that the voice of the people remains strong and unyielding. Your resilience, professionalism, and dedication to ethical journalism have been instrumental in fostering transparency, accountability, and national development”.

Celebrating this historic achievement, the Guild’s President, Uzoyi-Peters recognized the sacrifices and contributions of journalists across the nation who work tirelessly to inform, educate, and empower society.

The Guild reiterated it commitment towards collaborating with the NUJ in promoting responsible journalism and strengthening the media industry for the greater good.

While wishing the NUJ continued success, growth, and greater impact in the years ahead, President Uzoyi-Peters prayed that the anniversary serve as a renewed call to uphold the principles of truth, fairness, and press freedom in our collective pursuit of a more informed and just society.

Continue Reading

News

Family Marks one-year Memorial of Late APC Chieftain, Ojougboh with Charity Outreach

By Ikenna Oluka

Published

on

Mrs. Bose Ojougboh
Mrs. Bose Ojougboh, wife of the Late Dr. Cairo Ojougboh (Centre) flanked by other members of Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation during the outreach programme.

The family of the late chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, led by his wife, Mrs. Bose Ojougboh, marked his one-year memorial anniversary with a series of charitable initiatives aimed at honoring his legacy of philanthropy and service to society.

The memorial activities included the donation of school books and bags to pupils of Erigbe Primary School, in Agbor within the Ika South Local Government Area (LGA) of Delta State, where Dr. Ojougboh had received his early education.

The outreach also included extension of financial assistance to patients at Central Hospital, Agbor, and the provision of toiletries, cash, and food items to children at the Salve Regina Children’s Home, Agbor.

The outreach was carried out under the ‘Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation’, a family-led initiative established to immortalise him and continue his lifelong commitment to education, healthcare, and social welfare.

Speaking during the event which took place recently, Mrs. Ojougboh reaffirmed the family’s dedication to sustaining the ideals of the late APC chieftain, describing him as a man who strongly believed in education and giving back to society.

“We are here to celebrate the life of my husband, Late Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, who passed on a year ago. In his honour, we decided to give back to society. He was a man who valued education and was always willing to help others. It is only fitting that we continue his legacy through acts of generosity,” she stated.

Honouring his passion for education

The first visit was to Erigbe Primary School, where Dr. Ojougboh had received his early education. The Foundation distributed school bags, writing materials, and food packs to the pupils. The family encouraged the pupils to take their education seriously and strive to become responsible citizens.

Supporting patients at Central Hospital, Agbor

At Central Hospital, Agbor, Mrs. Ojougboh and her entourage moved through the medical wards, offering financial support to patients to assist with their treatment costs. The hospital staff and beneficiaries responded with prayers and words of gratitude for the kind gesture.

Reaching out to orphaned children

The outreach team also visited Salve Regina Children’s Home in Agbor where they donated cash, food items, and toiletries to the children.

Mrs. Bose Ojougboh -
members of Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation during the outreach programme.

The Matron of the home expressed her deep appreciation to the Ojougboh family, commending their commitment to sustaining the late politician’s legacy of compassion and social impact.

Dr. Cairo Ojougboh’s enduring legacy

Reflecting on her late husband’s contributions to society, Mrs. Ojougboh emphasised that his legacy of generosity and service to humanity would not be forgotten.

“Dr. Cairo was a selfless man who touched many lives. His contributions to the Nigerian political landscape, his mark in Agbor Kingdom, Delta State, and the country at large, will always be remembered. He may be gone, but his impact will continue to be felt for generations,” she said.

The Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation has pledged to continue supporting education, healthcare, and social welfare initiatives in his memory, ensuring that his vision for a better society lives on.

Continue Reading

News

Widows, Wives and More than 2,000 Residents of Ikeja Police Barracks Benefit from YP4T’s Initiative

Published

on

YP4T
L-r: Alex Oware, Director, YP4T; a beneficiary; Dr. Love V. Tinuoye (C.E.O. Medvita Consultancy); Pharm. Enobong S. Useh (M.D. Medvita Pharmacy and Stores LTD); Mrs Jumoke Elom, beneficiary; Ojey Victor Benjamin, Director, YP4T.

More than 2,000 individuals from the Ikeja Police Barracks community benefited from an impactful outreach program spearheaded by Young Professionals for Tinubu (YP4T), an advocacy and support group working in alignment with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The initiative provided critical medical services, care packages, food supplies, and financial assistance to widows, wives, and vulnerable residents, demonstrating the heart of nation-building through community-centered support.

The program, which united healthcare professionals, community organizers, and volunteers, complemented the government’s broader efforts to bring essential services closer to the people.

Residents of the Ikeja Police Barracks received free medical consultations, blood pressure and diabetes screenings, and wellness advice. Widows and families also left with care packages filled with food items, toiletries, and financial support to help alleviate the pressures of the holiday season.

Dr. Love V. Tinuoye, CEO of Medvita Consultancy and the lead doctor on-site, reflected on the impact:

“This initiative reflects a collective commitment to advancing healthcare in Nigeria. We were able to screen for and address critical health issues such as hypertension and diabetes while also providing preventive care like vaccinations and cancer screenings. This is what true community-focused care looks like.”

Beyond medical services, the outreach distributed care packages containing food staples, toiletries, and financial support, designed to alleviate the challenges faced by vulnerable members of the police barracks community.

The event highlights the ongoing efforts under the Renewed Hope Agenda to provide inclusive support for Nigerians across the country. Initiatives like this not only extend access to essential services but also strengthen the fabric of communities.

Mrs. Jumoke Elom, a businesswoman and beneficiary, shared her gratitude:

“I am deeply grateful for this program. The care my family received today—both medical and material—has given us hope and reminded us that we are not alone. It shows that there is real support for families like mine.”

The outreach program was also a platform for demonstrating the principles of nation-building through collaborative action. Alex Oware, Security Expert and Director of YP4T, explained the motivation behind the initiative: “The Renewed Hope Agenda is about about bringing real transformation to communities. This initiative embodies that vision by supporting over 2,000 people—not just through tangible resources, but by reaffirming their place in the collective growth of our nation. It lies at the soul of Renewed Hope: fostering resilience and creating opportunities for all Nigerians.”

The outreach program extended beyond healthcare, providing food and financial support to families within the police barracks. A touching moment involved a widow who, after receiving her care package, expressed her gratitude with tears of joy. Her story is just one of many that reflect the transformative power of collective action.

This initiative by YP4T—an advocacy and support group of Nigerian professionals from across the globe—represents a continued commitment to driving grassroots impact, inspired by President Tinubu’s vision. The success of the Ikeja outreach program demonstrates the power of collaboration between the public and private sectors to deliver meaningful change across Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending