Connect with us

News

Check if your State is among 12 expected to experience flooding soon

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the National Hydrological Services Agencies (NHISA) have warned that 12 states across the country would soon experience flooding due to torrential rain falls.

The two agencies gave the warning on Friday during an emergency stakeholders’ meeting held with relevant stakeholders in Abuja.

Mr Clem Nze, Director, Engineering Hydrology, NHISA, listed the states to include: Kogi, Kebbi, Niger, Kwara, Edo, Anambra, Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states, from the River Niger axis.

He also listed Taraba, Benue and Adamawa as states to be affected from the River Benue axis.

The expert also warned that the flood might be imminent, noting that all the indices that played out before the 2012 flooding had already manifested.

He said that the decision to raise the alarm was to ensure preparedness among stakeholders and residents of flood-prone communities.

Nze revealed that as at Friday, the height of River Niger in Lokoja was at 10.1 meters as against the 9.74 meters in 2012, adding that the continued to rise on hourly basis.

The director said that that the water levels were increasing due to the opening of the Shiroro, Kanji and Jebba Dams.

“As at today, our hydro-logical measuring station downstream the confluence in Lokoja recorded a stage height of 10.1m and a discharge value of 21,326 cubic metre per second.

“As against lower values of 9. 74m and 19,762 cubic meters per second recorded on the corresponding date of 2012 when the flood occurred.

“From the foregoing, it could be said that all the indices that caused the 2012 river flooding have manifested, except spillage of water from the Lagdo Dam,” he said.

“It would be noted that it was on Sept. 29, 2012 that the maximum flood level of 12 .840m and the corresponding discharge of 31,692 cubic meters per second were recorded at our station in Lokoja, downstream the confluence.

“By the 2018 Seasonal Rainfall Prediction released earlier in the year, Sept. 28 is the earliest cessation date of rainfall in Sokoto and Katsina while December is the earliest cessation date for the southern coastal cities.

“The implication of this is that, the northern part of the country should be expecting more rains in the next three weeks.”

Earlier, Mr Mustapha Maihaja, Director-General, NEMA said that the emergency meeting was called following the update on the flood situation received from NHISA and described the development as alarming and urgent.

He said that the meeting would also review the situation with a view to classifying the possible dangers, assess preparedness at individual and collective levels.

Maihaja said that this was to ensure that every relevant agency was ready for any eventuality, if the water level keeps increasing.

“This is a serious meeting; we must put heads together to first classify the situation, whether it is still yellow or red.

“If it is red, surely we should act and part of the acting is the suggestion to set up a committee of five groups of three personnel from various sector to visit the frontline states.

“It is for them to meet with the officials, go down to the villages that are really critically under threat and use all avenues to enlighten them.

“To invigorate our enlightenment campaign electronically and physically to ensure that everybody is well informed as required by the law.

“Secondly, we access our preparedness, informing our stakeholders so that wherever there is any equipment that is required, it is ready for deployment, should anything happens,” Maihaja said.

He called on state governments to provide alternative accommodation for those in the flood-affected areas so that they do not camp in schools, especially as the schools are now in session.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that stakeholders from the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NIMET), Ministries of Environment, Water Resources, Education, Health and Agriculture attended the meeting.

Other stakeholders present include representatives from the Defence Headquarters, Federal Fire Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corp (NSCDC), relevant UN agencies and other international organisations.

The stakeholders affirmed their preparedness to swing into action in the case of any flood disaster in any part of the country. (NAN)

GrassRoots.ng is on a critical mission; to objectively and honestly represent the voice of ‘grassrooters’ in International, Federal, State and Local Government fora; heralding the achievements of political and other leaders and investors alike, without discrimination. This daily, digital news publication platform serves as the leading source of up-to-date information on how people and events reflect on the global community. The pragmatic articles reflect on the life of the community people, covering news/current affairs, business, technology, culture and fashion, entertainment, sports, State, National and International issues that directly impact the locals.

News

NUJ at 70: Private Broadcast Members Congratulate Union

Reporter: Ikenna Oluka

Published

on

NUJ at 70
NUJ

The Guild of Private Broadcast Managers  has extended its heartfelt congratulations to the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) as it celebrates its 70th Anniversary.

In a congratulatory message signed by the Guild’s National President, Ambassador Patrick Uzoyi-Peters, JP MNGRM, the guild described the milestone as a testament to the NUJ’s unwavering commitment to upholding press freedom, journalistic integrity, and the advancement of democracy in Nigeria.

“For seven decades, the NUJ has played a pivotal role in shaping the media landscape, advocating for the rights and welfare of journalists, and ensuring that the voice of the people remains strong and unyielding. Your resilience, professionalism, and dedication to ethical journalism have been instrumental in fostering transparency, accountability, and national development”.

Celebrating this historic achievement, the Guild’s President, Uzoyi-Peters recognized the sacrifices and contributions of journalists across the nation who work tirelessly to inform, educate, and empower society.

The Guild reiterated it commitment towards collaborating with the NUJ in promoting responsible journalism and strengthening the media industry for the greater good.

While wishing the NUJ continued success, growth, and greater impact in the years ahead, President Uzoyi-Peters prayed that the anniversary serve as a renewed call to uphold the principles of truth, fairness, and press freedom in our collective pursuit of a more informed and just society.

Continue Reading

News

Family Marks one-year Memorial of Late APC Chieftain, Ojougboh with Charity Outreach

By Ikenna Oluka

Published

on

Mrs. Bose Ojougboh
Mrs. Bose Ojougboh, wife of the Late Dr. Cairo Ojougboh (Centre) flanked by other members of Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation during the outreach programme.

The family of the late chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, led by his wife, Mrs. Bose Ojougboh, marked his one-year memorial anniversary with a series of charitable initiatives aimed at honoring his legacy of philanthropy and service to society.

The memorial activities included the donation of school books and bags to pupils of Erigbe Primary School, in Agbor within the Ika South Local Government Area (LGA) of Delta State, where Dr. Ojougboh had received his early education.

The outreach also included extension of financial assistance to patients at Central Hospital, Agbor, and the provision of toiletries, cash, and food items to children at the Salve Regina Children’s Home, Agbor.

The outreach was carried out under the ‘Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation’, a family-led initiative established to immortalise him and continue his lifelong commitment to education, healthcare, and social welfare.

Speaking during the event which took place recently, Mrs. Ojougboh reaffirmed the family’s dedication to sustaining the ideals of the late APC chieftain, describing him as a man who strongly believed in education and giving back to society.

“We are here to celebrate the life of my husband, Late Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, who passed on a year ago. In his honour, we decided to give back to society. He was a man who valued education and was always willing to help others. It is only fitting that we continue his legacy through acts of generosity,” she stated.

Honouring his passion for education

The first visit was to Erigbe Primary School, where Dr. Ojougboh had received his early education. The Foundation distributed school bags, writing materials, and food packs to the pupils. The family encouraged the pupils to take their education seriously and strive to become responsible citizens.

Supporting patients at Central Hospital, Agbor

At Central Hospital, Agbor, Mrs. Ojougboh and her entourage moved through the medical wards, offering financial support to patients to assist with their treatment costs. The hospital staff and beneficiaries responded with prayers and words of gratitude for the kind gesture.

Reaching out to orphaned children

The outreach team also visited Salve Regina Children’s Home in Agbor where they donated cash, food items, and toiletries to the children.

Mrs. Bose Ojougboh -
members of Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation during the outreach programme.

The Matron of the home expressed her deep appreciation to the Ojougboh family, commending their commitment to sustaining the late politician’s legacy of compassion and social impact.

Dr. Cairo Ojougboh’s enduring legacy

Reflecting on her late husband’s contributions to society, Mrs. Ojougboh emphasised that his legacy of generosity and service to humanity would not be forgotten.

“Dr. Cairo was a selfless man who touched many lives. His contributions to the Nigerian political landscape, his mark in Agbor Kingdom, Delta State, and the country at large, will always be remembered. He may be gone, but his impact will continue to be felt for generations,” she said.

The Dr. Cairo Ojougboh Foundation has pledged to continue supporting education, healthcare, and social welfare initiatives in his memory, ensuring that his vision for a better society lives on.

Continue Reading

News

Widows, Wives and More than 2,000 Residents of Ikeja Police Barracks Benefit from YP4T’s Initiative

Published

on

YP4T
L-r: Alex Oware, Director, YP4T; a beneficiary; Dr. Love V. Tinuoye (C.E.O. Medvita Consultancy); Pharm. Enobong S. Useh (M.D. Medvita Pharmacy and Stores LTD); Mrs Jumoke Elom, beneficiary; Ojey Victor Benjamin, Director, YP4T.

More than 2,000 individuals from the Ikeja Police Barracks community benefited from an impactful outreach program spearheaded by Young Professionals for Tinubu (YP4T), an advocacy and support group working in alignment with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The initiative provided critical medical services, care packages, food supplies, and financial assistance to widows, wives, and vulnerable residents, demonstrating the heart of nation-building through community-centered support.

The program, which united healthcare professionals, community organizers, and volunteers, complemented the government’s broader efforts to bring essential services closer to the people.

Residents of the Ikeja Police Barracks received free medical consultations, blood pressure and diabetes screenings, and wellness advice. Widows and families also left with care packages filled with food items, toiletries, and financial support to help alleviate the pressures of the holiday season.

Dr. Love V. Tinuoye, CEO of Medvita Consultancy and the lead doctor on-site, reflected on the impact:

“This initiative reflects a collective commitment to advancing healthcare in Nigeria. We were able to screen for and address critical health issues such as hypertension and diabetes while also providing preventive care like vaccinations and cancer screenings. This is what true community-focused care looks like.”

Beyond medical services, the outreach distributed care packages containing food staples, toiletries, and financial support, designed to alleviate the challenges faced by vulnerable members of the police barracks community.

The event highlights the ongoing efforts under the Renewed Hope Agenda to provide inclusive support for Nigerians across the country. Initiatives like this not only extend access to essential services but also strengthen the fabric of communities.

Mrs. Jumoke Elom, a businesswoman and beneficiary, shared her gratitude:

“I am deeply grateful for this program. The care my family received today—both medical and material—has given us hope and reminded us that we are not alone. It shows that there is real support for families like mine.”

The outreach program was also a platform for demonstrating the principles of nation-building through collaborative action. Alex Oware, Security Expert and Director of YP4T, explained the motivation behind the initiative: “The Renewed Hope Agenda is about about bringing real transformation to communities. This initiative embodies that vision by supporting over 2,000 people—not just through tangible resources, but by reaffirming their place in the collective growth of our nation. It lies at the soul of Renewed Hope: fostering resilience and creating opportunities for all Nigerians.”

The outreach program extended beyond healthcare, providing food and financial support to families within the police barracks. A touching moment involved a widow who, after receiving her care package, expressed her gratitude with tears of joy. Her story is just one of many that reflect the transformative power of collective action.

This initiative by YP4T—an advocacy and support group of Nigerian professionals from across the globe—represents a continued commitment to driving grassroots impact, inspired by President Tinubu’s vision. The success of the Ikeja outreach program demonstrates the power of collaboration between the public and private sectors to deliver meaningful change across Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending