GRPolitics
REVEALED: Real reason Ambode accepted defeat


There were indications on Wednesday that the Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, conceded victory to Babajide Sanwo-Olu, his main opponent for the All Progressives Congress governorship ticket in Lagos, to calm frayed nerves and avert impeachment.
There had been expectation that the governor would fight the declaration of Sanwo-Olu as the winner of the state’s Tuesday governorship primary, which was initially cancelled by the APC National Working Committee panel that had promised to announce a new date for the primary.
The panel made a U-turn on Wednesday to declare Sanwo-Olu the winner, sparking speculations that the governor would reject the move, according to the Punch report.
A few hours after the panel’s new decision, the governor’s media team sent a press statement that the governor would host a “world press briefing” by 2.pm, causing more speculations.
In the briefing, which eventually turned out to be a broadcast by 4pm, Ambode accepted defeat and congratulated Sanwo-Olu.
One of our correspondents gathered through sources in both Ambode and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu’s camps that the move was meant to remove the tension, as well as avert the impeachment move being considered by party elders.
One of the sources said before and after the broadcast, Ambode had contacted Tinubu and some party leaders in a bid to assure them of his loyalty to the party, and in order to avert the impeachment option.
“He (Ambode) did not want the matter to get to that level; that is why he accepted the defeat to reduce the tension in the state and stop any panicky action by the party elders. He also wanted them to leave him in peace to complete all his projects,” the source said.
The APC Publicity Secretary in Lagos State, Mr Joe Igbokwe, said he did not know about any peace move by the incumbent governor, as well as any deal.
He said, “I don’t know about that.”
One of Tinubu’s aides also said it was still early to say.
He said, “Ambode just made his speech, every other thing would flow from the governor’s decision to accept defeat and congratulate Sanwo-Olu.”
NWC bows to Lagos APC, declares Sanwo-Olu winner
Earlier on Wednesday, the APC panel changed its position on the validity of the primary conducted in the state on Tuesday.
The fresh stance was contrary to the position of the NWC panel, led by Mr Clement Ebri, on Tuesday that the primary did not hold.
The panel said on Wednesday that the primary held.
It went on to declare Sanwo-Olu as the winner of the primary with 970,851 votes ahead of Ambode, who recorded 72,901 votes.
The Ebri-led panel in a press statement, said, “After resolving some of the hiccups, the Lagos State APC Governorship Primary Committee collated the results from the 245 wards in the 20 local government areas.
“At the end of the exercise, these are the votes scored by the aspirants: 1. Gov Akinwunmi Ambode, 72,901 votes. 2. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, 970,851 votes.
“Following these results, I, Clement Ebri, the Chairman of the Lagos State APC Governorship Primary Committee hereby declare Babajide Sanwo-Olu as the winner.”
‘Why APC NWC upheld primary’
Another source said the decision to uphold the result was informed by the presence of relevant government agencies, including representatives of the Independent National Electoral Commission at the primary.
A member of the party leadership, who spoke to one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity said, “Most people spoken to said the governorship primary was held in Lagos yesterday (Tuesday).”
Another party source confided in one of our correspondents that the President left the decision to the APC National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, who had earlier said there was election in Lagos.
The source added that Ebri did not take directive from the NWC before announcing that no primary took place.
*Punch
GRPolitics
Tinubu Hails Winners of By-Elections in 12 States


President Bola Ahmed Tinubu congratulates all the winners of Saturday, August 16, by-elections in 16 constituencies across 12 states.
The President commends the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the hitch-free elections, mostly devoid of violence.
Following the results declared by INEC, the All Progressives Congress (APC) won in 12 constituencies, the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) won in two, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) won in one, and the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) won in one.
President Tinubu congratulates the new APC National Chairman, Prof Nentawe Yilwatda, for the emphatic first victory recorded under his leadership.
He also congratulates the APC governors and other leaders on the success of the by-elections.
“Chairman Nentawe Yilwatda has shown leadership capacity and demonstrated what is achievable when popular candidates are fielded and with unity of purpose among party leaders,” the President remarks.
“To all APC faithful and the electorate, thank you for the confidence reposed in our party. Be assured that our Renewed Hope slogan is not a mere slogan. Our destination is a better, more secure and prosperous Nigeria. We shall take you there, by the Grace of God,” he said.
President Tinubu commends all the political parties and candidates who participated in the election and enjoins them to continue to be guided by the spirit of sportsmanship, fair contest and magnanimity, which are enablers of enduring democracy.


The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, has restated the Federal Government’s firm commitment to the rapid socio-economic development of Ebonyi State and the entire South-East geo-political zone.
Speaking in Abakaliki on Friday night at a Citizens’ Engagement Forum organised by his Ministry, the Minister said: “The commitment of Mr. President to the socio-economic development of Ebonyi State and the entire South-East is unwavering. He is right on track to transform and move the region forward, as promised when he came here to campaign in November 2022.”
The Minister explained that the Citizens’ Engagement Forum is not a mere talk shop but a direct platform to present government’s scorecard, give account of stewardship, and take feedback from Nigerians.
“This is consistent with the mission of the Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation to reenact trust in public communication by deepening the social contract between government and citizens, and restoring public confidence in governance.”
Highlighting major achievements of the Tinubu administration, Idris noted that subsidy removal and other bold reforms have doubled allocations to states and local governments, fueling an “unprecedented explosion of infrastructure projects across most states of the country.”
The Minister said “the Port Harcourt-Aba railway project has been completed, delivered, and is in operation,” while the Federal Executive Council has approved “the allocation of $3 billion for the completion of the 2,044km Eastern Rail Line, projected to unlock N50 billion for the region in annual trade.”
In addition, “$508 million has been earmarked for the upgrade and modernization of Eastern Port infrastructure,” while “118.85km of the Ebonyi section of the Calabar-Abuja Super Highway has been inaugurated.”
On healthcare, the Minister disclosed that “the Federal Government, in April 2025, flagged off the Cancer Centre of Excellence at the David Umahi Federal University of Health Sciences, Uburu,” adding that a “world-class Oncology Centre at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Nsukka” has also been commissioned.
To support small businesses, Idris stated: “The Federal Government, through the Bank of Industry, injected about N200 billion into nano, micro, and small businesses, benefitting over 900,000 business owners.”
He further announced that the newly established South-East Development Commission has “hit the ground running in its pursuit to build a $200 billion economy for the region by 2035,” while the South-East Investment Corporation, with a capital base of N150 billion, will drive industrialization and inclusive growth.
On security, the Minister assured citizens that the Federal Government is winning the war against insurgents and secessionist elements. “We have recorded great success in making the South East safe and rendering the sit-at-home orders by secessionists ineffective,” he stressed.
Idris commended Governor Francis Nwifuru of Ebonyi State for his development strides, especially in forging synergy with the Federal Government to deliver impactful projects for the people of the state.
“His success across all sectors of the state is a testament to what is possible when state and federal governments work in synergy to deliver dividends of democracy to the people.”
The Minister reiterated President Tinubu’s vision of building a $1 trillion economy, bridging the infrastructure gap, promoting food security, improving the living conditions of the masses and bequeathing a prosperous nation to future generations. “Indeed, we are not resting on our oars,” he affirmed.
GRPolitics
2027: Again, Enugu North Endorses Gov Mbah over Massive Projects, UNN VC
SANDRA ANI reports that Governor Mbah told the people “…You ain’t seen nothing yet”


…Says Enugu-Nsukka rail line in the pipeline
Stakeholders and groups across the six Local Government Areas of Enugu North Senatorial District, also known as Nsukka Zone, have endorsed Dr. Peter Mbah of Enugu State for a second term in office yet again.
The stakeholders, comprising traditional, political, and community leaders, professionals and various groups, said the governor had shown sincerity and determination in addressing the major challenges facing Nsukka Zone through visible projects, while also facilitating the appointment of a son of the zone as the Vice Chancellorship of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, for the first time since the founding of the institution in 1960.
This was as Mbah revealed that he was already in the process of feasibility study for a rail line that would reduce trip from Enugu to Nsukka to 15 minutes, saying he was just starting.
The people of Nsukka zone bared their minds during Governor Mbah’s working visit to Nsukka at the weekend, which featured the foundation laying for a 5,000-shop capacity Nsukka International Market, meeting with traditional rulers of the zone at Edem Ani, and a well-attended meeting with stakeholders of the zone.
Speaking, the Chairman, Enugu State Council of Traditional Rulers, Igwe Samuel Asadu, said the zone had presented three major requests before Mbah ahead of the 2023 election, namely; the dualisation of the 44km Abakpa Nike-Opi-Nsukka Road, appointment of an Nsukka Zone indigene as Vice Chancellor of UNN, and support the creation of Adada State.
“Today, the governor is already dualising the Enugu-Opi-Nsukka Road. Just last week, he, through his good relationships with President Bola Tinubu, ensured the emergence of Professor Simon Ortuanya as the Vice Chancellor of UNN. While the creation of Adada State is not for him to decide, he has given us all the support to push for it.
“It means that he has met almost all our demands in just two years. So, tell me why we will follow another person other than him?”, he said.


In his remarks, the Chairman of Nsukka LGA, Engr. Jude Asogwa, said Mbah was unstoppable, as far as Enugu north was concerned, saying he had surpassed their expectations.
“Our people said that I should inform you that you are unstoppable. We thank you for the 20 Smart Green Schools in Nsukka, 20 Type-2 Primary Healthcare Centres, and the Modern Transport Terminal in Nsukka, just to name a few, all in just two years.
“So, we want to tell you that we are committed to your cause. In fact, it is as though Enugu just started two years ago. We don’t engage in frivolities and we are on ground for you,” Asogwa stated.
In his opening remark at the townhall meeting, which held at the UBA Hall, UNN, Member representing Nsukka/Igboeze South Federal Constituency, Hon. Chidi Obetta, said Mbah had shown that leadership was no rocket science, noting that the essence of the townhall meeting was for the governor to get undiluted feedback from the people.
“The Enugu North zone is saying thank you because I know a lot of projects across various sectors you have told me in our private discussions that you were planning to bring to Nsukka” he said.
Mbah, while responding to their requests which were mostly in appreciation for the projects done and request for more roads, assured the zone that he would get even more aggressive with roads construction in 2025 by which time he would have been done with the 260 Smart Green Schools and the 260 type-2 Primary Healthcare Centers.
“I know you are all excited about the Abakpa-Opi-Nsukka Road. But you ain’t seen nothing yet. We are also going to do a rail line from Enugu to Nsukka. We don’t think that travelling from Enugu to Nsukka should take you more than 15 minutes. We are still doing the feasibility studies. But this is something we will do,” he said.
Other eminent personalities of Enugu North at the events, which featured a question and answer session with the governor, include the Deputy Speaker, Enugu State House of Assembly, Hon. Ezenta Ezeani; Member representing Igboeze North/Udenu Federal Constituency, Hon. Dennis Agbo; Labour Party candidate in the 2023 governorship election, who has also returned to the Peoples Democratic Party, Hon. Chijioke Edeoga; and Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Enyinna Franklin Ogbonna.
Also present were members of Enugu State House of Assembly representing the zone, the six Council Chairmen of the zone, among others.
-
News2 days ago
PRCAN Mourns the Passing of NIPR Council Member, Bashir Chedi
-
Sports3 days ago
Hope Uzodimma Backs Chiney Ogwumike’s Vision for Girl-Child Empowerment Through Sports
-
Energy2 days ago
Gov Mbah Revamps, Upgrades Nigergas after 30-year Dormancy
-
Culture2 days ago
Okhma hosts high-level investment pitch for 70 brands ahead of Carnival Calabar 2025