GRPolitics
Why Police summoned Saraki, others over protest


The police have summoned the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, Senator Dino Melaye and Senator Ben Bruce to appear for investigation for “disturbing public peace and violently hitting policemen to forcefully enter the Force Headquarters, Abuja.”
The invitation came a few hours after Saraki led notable national leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party in a protest to the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission on Friday, calling on the commission to declare Ademola Adeleke winner of the Osun State governorship election.
They also protested at the police headquarters, Abuja
The Nigeria Police Force spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, in a statement said the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, had directed an investigation into the “unprovoked and unwarranted attack on the personnel of the Nigeria Police Force.”
It said that the lawmakers led miscreants to assault policemen and damage properties, asking the senators to report to the IGP Monitoring Unit at the Force Headquarters on Monday for investigation.
According to the police, Saraki, Melaye and Bruce were captured on camera causing public disturbance and obstructing traffic on Shehu Shagari Way, Abuja, for hours.
The statement read in part, “Senator Bukola Saraki, Senator Dino Melaye and Senator Ben Bruce were captured on camera disturbing public peace and public safety and causing innocent people to scamper for safety.
“They were also involved in a violent attack on policemen at the Force Headquarters, pushing and hitting them in an attempt to forcefully enter the Force headquarters to cause damage to equipment and government properties.
“They are hereby invited to report themselves to the IGP Monitoring Unit at the Force Headquarters on Monday, 8th October, 2018 for investigation.”
Police tear-gas Saraki, Secondus, Tambuwal, Lamido, Kwakwanso, others
During the protest, notable national leaders of the PDP were tear-gassed by the police during their protest over what they called the crooked way INEC and the police had been rigging elections in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress in the country.
Those who were tear-gassed were Saraki; the Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal; the PDP National Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus; and the Gombe State Governor, Ibrahim Dankwambo.
Others who had a raw deal in the hands of the police were the Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose; his Taraba State counterpart, Darius Ishaku; a former governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido; Melaye; Ben Murray-Bruce; and presidential aspirants, Danti Baba Ahmed and Tanimu Turaki.
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, however, escaped being tear-gassed as he didn’t follow the protesters to the Police Force Headquarters, where the men were tear-gassed.
Dogara left shortly after the team visited the INEC headquarters at Maitama, Abuja.
Secondus and his team were complaining about the outcome of the recently held Osun State governorship election, which they believed was won by the PDP candidate, Adeleke, but was allegedly rigged in favour of the APC candidate, Alhaji Gboyega Oyetola.
The protesters had stormed the police headquarters, Louis Edet House, but were prevented by the police from entering into the premises.
Aside from firing tear gas, the police also fired gunshots into the air to disperse the protesters who scampered for safety in different directions, with some people sustaining injuries.
Some of the protesters, as well as journalists who were affected by the tear gas, were revived with water.
Initially, Melaye who was at the forefront of the protest led by Saraki, Secondus, Tambuwal, Lamido and others, tried to defy the police onslaught against them, but eventually ran for safety when the fume of the tear gas became unbearable to them.
Earlier at the INEC headquarters, the PDP protesters had called on the commission to desist from having further inconclusive elections and to also be fair and firm in its conduct, urging it to stop working for the APC.
They said Nigerians would not take anything less than free, fair and credible elections in 2019.
At the INEC office, Secondus said, “You are pushing Nigerians to the wall and when you push them to the wall, there will be resistance. We hope we will not get there, but this will serve as a notice.
“Nigerians have left you. You cannot change the will of the people by force, take note and stop directing the security agencies and INEC to rig elections. You must come out clean. What we expect from you is to conduct free and fair elections.”
Also speaking, Saraki said, “We are here representing millions of Nigerians to speak to you, INEC, that you have a responsibility by law, by the constitution, to do what is right for all Nigerians.
“Enough is enough of elections that are not credible. Enough is enough of impunity. Enough is enough of harassment. INEC, you met a standard, don’t take us back.
“Nigeria has raised the standard of electoral processes, take us forward, don’t take us backward. The last two elections have been said all over villages, towns, Africa and other continents that it was a sham. INEC, enough is enough.
“Just last night, the Senate and Congress in the United States issued a statement saying enough is enough. We must have credible elections in Nigeria.
Also, Fayose said the result of the governorship election in Osun State had shown the APC was being rejected by Nigerians.
He said, “We want to let INEC know a few things and remind them that the damage done to this country is enough. The damage done to our democracy and, by extension, the common man is enough.
“If the people cannot choose their leader anymore, then we are in trouble. In 2014, the APC won the governorship election in Osun State by 114,000 votes.
“But this last election, with all the rigging, the APC won by 400 votes, that is a statement enough to say that the APC is no more in demand in Nigeria.
“We are not asking for favours, this country and this INEC belong to Nigerians and Nigerians must be respected by allowing them to make a choice.
“If (former President Goodluck) Jonathan had behaved this way, we would not have a Buhari in power. We have a Buhari in power because somebody thought the rights of Nigerians must not be trampled upon by INEC and everybody received the present administration with open arms.
Tambuwal said he expected the INEC chairman to be above board in his handling of the affairs of the commission.
We’re professionals, not politicians –INEC
Responding to their demands, the INEC National Commissioner on Legal Matters, May Agbamuche-Mbu, said the commission would take the protest seriously.
He also said the commission would do its best in 2019.
Agbamuche-Mbu said, “I want to thank you and inform you all that Prof. Mahmood Yakubu would have received you all. The commission takes this demonstration very seriously. We are happy the protest is peaceful and carried out in a civilised manner.
“INEC is up to this job, we are all here in INEC as professionals and not politicians. We are going to do our best come 2019.
“I must say we are a team and decisions are made by the commission and not by any individual. All your comments have been noted and they will be passed to the chairman and the entire commission.”
Meanwhile, notable presidential aspirants of the PDP absent at the protest were former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, Ahmed Makarfi, David Mark, Jonah Jang and Attahiru Bafarawa.
Nobody can cow us –INEC
Meanwhile, the PDP has reacted to what it called the police brutality against its leaders.
It described it as “dastardly, unwarranted and unprovoked,” adding the “unleashing of violence on our leaders, including the Senate President and state governors, by the police was condemnable.”
The PDP, however, vowed that no amount of attacks, aggression or acts of intimidation would deter it from confronting and dismantling the rigging machinery of the APC and coast to victory in 2019.
The PDP National Publicity Secretary, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan, said in a statement, “The whole world was shocked when the police assaulted, fired tear gas and violently dispersed our party leaders who were on a peaceful protest at the Force Headquarters, Abuja, over the use of police by the APC to rig elections, particularly the September 22, 2018 Osun State governorship election.
“Acting on ‘orders from above,’ the police assaulted our elected leaders, including our national chairman, Prince Uche Secondus; Senate President Bukola Saraki; Ekiti State Governor, Ayo Fayose; our presidential aspirants, Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso, Kabiru Tanimu, Mallam Sule Lamido, among others.
“This unwarranted attack has left no one in doubt that our police have finally been turned into a militant wing of the APC, with direct orders to use force to repress opposition and turn our nation into a one-party state.
“It has also shown that the police, under President Muhammadu Buhari, has officially declared war on the opposition and there is no way our safety is guaranteed under the current police leadership.
“If the police, which ought to protect the people, the law and the democratic process, could show such violent aggression on notable leaders, then it can no longer be trusted with the welfare and safety of regular citizens.
Ologbondiyan called on Nigerians and the international community to “rise up in direct condemnation of the APC’s use of state apparatus of power against law-abiding citizens and groups.”
GRPolitics
Breaking: ‘Welcome home,’ Gov Mbah Receives Edeoga Back to PDP
…‘You’re Enugu people’s choice,’ Edeoga tells governor


Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Peter Mbah, on Wednesday, welcomed the gubernatorial candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in the 2023 governorship election, Hon. Chijioke Edeoga, back into the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, fold, commending the ex-opposition flagbearer for demonstrating that politics is not a do-or-die affair.
Mbah said that Edeoga’s return to the PDP was in line with the party’s principle of reconciliation and making the people, not personal ambition, the focus of governance, urging him and his supporters to feel very much at home.
This was even as the former gubernatorial candidate endorsed Mbah as the popular choice of the people of Enugu State, stressing that he had fully aligned with that choice.
Receiving Edoega in his office, in the company of party leaders led by the state party chairman, Dr. Martin Chukwunweike, Mbah said, “Welcome back home. The symbolism of your action is a mark of the enduring bond that runs in our party. I am indeed very delighted to have you back to rejoin your family.
“What we are witnessing today is a result of fence-mending consistent with the philosophy of our party – the imperatives of reconciliation.
“It is also a demonstration on your part that politics is not a do-or-die affair; that what we are currently doing in Enugu State appeals to you and you believe that it is working for the interest of the people and you have taken that decision to say, ‘Look, let us join hands together and serve our people.’
“I commend you greatly for making such a courageous bold step. The lesson for us is quite profound, as it shows that the common denominator even when we express our aspirations on different political platforms, is all about the people and making them the centerpiece of our ambitions.
“So, we will embrace you with our arms wide open. You are going to be treated as a member of PDP, which we know you are indeed. We look forward to working with you in the service of our people.”
Edeoga, on his part, commended Governor Mbah for making his return possible, describing it as a paradigm shift from politics of animosity and winner takes all to politics of empathy and people-centred development.
“I thank Your Excellency for overseeing the process that has culminated in my return to the PDP and my visit to your office. It is easy to downplay what has happened. But something like this has not happened in the annals of politics in Enugu State. I commend your wisdom, I commend your empathy, I commend your mental sagacity.
“What has happened here today will effect a paradigm shift in the way politics is played in Enugu State. It will no longer be winner takes all or politics being seen as a hostile or brutal activity. It has restored politics as just a contest of ideas and visions. These contesting visions were thrown open to the public and the people of Enugu State have made their choice, which I completely align myself with.
“Politics should be played without bitterness; it should be played without animosity and as much humanely as possible. Once the victor has emerged, the next thing is governance. The governance is ongoing and it is going very well. When it is time for politics, people are free to pursue their dreams. For now, it is time for governance.
“Anyone, who feels annoyed or deeply angered that Edeoga has taken this step of faith, I believe with time, they will align with the superior wisdom of those who are their leaders. Leadership comes with responsibilities and one of these responsibilities is to take a step of faith.
“Again, thank you for making my return to the PDP possible. I recommit myself to the ideals of PDP. As much as possible, I will work to ensure that PDP becomes victorious going forward,” he said.
GRPolitics
Minister Commends Guards Brigade for Exceptional Service in Securing the Seat of Government


The Minister of State for Defence, H.E. Dr. Bello Mohammed Matawalle, has expressed profound appreciation for the unwavering commitment and exemplary efforts of the Commander, officers, and personnel of the Guards Brigade in safeguarding the Federal Capital Territory and its environs.
In his remarks as the Special Guest of Honour at the 2024 West African Social Activity (WASA 2024) held in Abuja, the Minister stated, “Your loyalty, sacrifice, and dedication in executing your Presidential security duties, coordinating ceremonial parades, and managing operational challenges are commendable. Your proactive approach in addressing security threats has ensured the safety of the Presidency as well as that of citizens, visitors, and diplomats alike. I urge you to continue embodying compassion and empathy in your operations, striving for excellence in all your responsibilities.”
The Minister highlighted that the WASA event serves as a vibrant testament to the rich cultural heritage of Nigeria, as showcased by the personnel and families of the Guards Brigade. “The traditional dances and local delicacies on display tonight not only enhance our appreciation of our diverse cultures but also play a crucial role in preserving our cultural heritage and distinct identity,” he added.
In conclusion, the Minister called upon the Guards Brigade to uphold the trust placed in them by consistently meeting the challenges of their duties and ensuring that the flag of the Nigerian Armed Forces continues to fly high.
Earlier, Major General Adebisi Onosayan, Commander of the Guards Brigade, delivered a welcome address expressing gratitude to the President for his unwavering support of the Brigade’s operations, training, and welfare. “Thank you, Your Excellency. I also wish to extend my sincere appreciation to the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Army Staff for their relentless guidance and support. We pledge our unwavering loyalty and readiness to contribute effectively to the security of lives and property in the Federal Capital Territory and its surroundings,” he emphasized.
General Onosayan further noted that the 2024 WASA highlights the social diversity, cultural identity, values, beliefs, and rich heritage of the Nigerian people, resonating with the ethos of the Nigerian Army. “This event provides an opportunity to showcase various cultural dances, traditional cuisines, languages, attire, and ethnic groups of our great nation in a relaxed atmosphere,” he stated, adding that today’s event marks the Brigade’s Grand Finale.
GRPolitics
Matawalle Commends President Tinubu for Positive Economic Reforms
…Matawalle urges critics to be positive in their narratives


The Honourable Minister of State for Defence, Dr. Bello Muhammad Matawalle, has praised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his robust economic policies and reforms, which are yielding significant positive results for the nation. According to Matawalle, these initiatives are contributing to a turnaround in the economy that will benefits all Nigerians.
In the light of ongoing criticism, particularly from some quarters in Northern Nigeria, according to a statement by Henshaw Ogubike, director information & PR at the Ministry, Matawalle urged critics to be positive in their narratives and called on citizens to remain steadfast in their support for the President and to reject divisive narratives.
“It is crucial for Nigerians to stand united behind Mr. President, who is diligently working hard to revitalize our economy through a series of effective policies, programs, and reforms,” he stated.
Matawalle specifically highlighted President Tinubu’s tax reforms as a pivotal element in the country’s economic turnaround. He explained that these reforms are designed to create a more equitable tax system, which will enhance revenue generation for the government while easing the financial burden on ordinary citizens and small businesses.
“By broadening the tax base and ensuring that everyone pays their fair share, President Tinubu is laying the groundwork for sustainable economic growth. These reforms will not only increase government revenues but also stimulate investment and job creation across various sectors,” Matawalle elaborated.
He further noted that the tax reforms aim to simplify the tax administration process, making it easier for individuals and businesses to comply. This will foster a more business-friendly environment, encouraging entrepreneurship and innovation, which are essential for driving economic progress.
Matawalle also highlighted several key achievements across various sectors, particularly noting improvements in national security. He emphasized that President Tinubu has made substantial strides in enhancing the capabilities of the Nigerian military through the provision of modern hardware and equipment. Additionally, he assured that military personnel have received timely payment of their allowances and salary increases, which has significantly boosted their morale.
“Under President Tinubu’s leadership, we are witnessing a renewed commitment to the safety and well-being of all Nigerians, and I encourage everyone to recognize the positive changes taking place,” Matawalle concluded.