Connect with us

GRPolitics

NASS, PDP, SANs kick as Buhari declines assent to electoral bill again

Published

on

The National Assembly, Peoples Democratic Party, over 45 opposition political parties under the aegis of the Coalition of United Political Parties, and some prominent Senior Advocates of Nigeria on Friday kicked as President Muhammadu Buhari finally withheld his assent to the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill 2018 passed by the National Assembly.

The President had earlier on Friday announced his decision to withhold his assent to the crucial electoral bill which the National Assembly transmitted to him on November 7.

The controversial bill has been returned to the National Assembly after the President refused to sign it the fourth time.

The President had earlier rejected it for the third time and returned it to the legislature on August 30.

Confirming Buhari’s latest decision in Abuja, his Senior Special Assistant, National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang, said the President gave his reasons in a letter to the National Assembly.

Enang, a member of the All Progressives Congress from Akwa Ibom State, merely said,  “President Muhammadu Buhari has taken decision on the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill 2018 in accordance with his power under the 1999 Constitution and has communicated that decision to the Senate and the House of Representatives in accordance with the law.”

He added that Buhari acted within the law, which compels him to communicate his decision to the National Assembly.

Enang noted, “The President has taken a decision in accordance with the powers vested in him by the constitution. And by convention that decision contained in the communication can only be revealed by the person to whom that decision is addressed.

“But the electoral bill has left Mr President because he has taken a decision and has remitted it back.”

PDP, CUPP, SANS urge NASS to override Buhari

But the PDP Presidential Campaign Council on Friday urged the National Assembly to immediately override the President’s refusal to assent the bill.

The Director, Media and Publicity of the council, Kola Ologbondiyan, in a statement said overriding Buhari would save the nation’s democracy

He added that the legislative action had become imperative as Buhari’s decision was a calculated attempt to inject crisis into the electoral process.

According to him, Buhari’s refusal to sign the Act could ultimately scuttle the conduct of the 2019 general elections.

Ologbondiyan said, “President Buhari’s repeated refusal to sign amendments passed to check rigging in the election, raises issues of his sincerity of purpose and has the capacity to trigger political unrest and violence, which can, in turn, truncate our hard-earned democracy.”

According to him, Buhari is afraid of the amendments because they essentially checked the APC’s alleged rigging plans.

He also charged all political parties, other critical stakeholders and Nigerians in general, to rise in the interest of the nation and demand the entrenching of rules and processes that would guarantee the conduct of free, fair and credible elections.

Rejection invitation to anarchy –CUPP

Meanwhile, the CUPP said Buhari’s decision not to sign the bill was an invitation to electoral anarchy.

The coalition in a statement by its first national spokesperson, Imo Ugochinyere, said Buhari’s latest action portrayed him as a jittery President who was afraid of electoral defeat.

The statement read, “President Buhari has expectedly failed again to take advantage of the rare opportunity of the Electoral Amendment Bill to write his name in gold as the President that signed the laws that guaranteed electoral credibility in Nigeria.

“But yet again, as usual of him, he failed to rise to the occasion, being blinded by ambition and the love of the perks of office.”

Meanwhile, renowned Senior Advocates of Nigeria have advised the National Assembly to evoke its constitutional powers to override the President’s assent in respect of the electoral act.

The SANs include Olisa Agbakoba, Mike Ozekhome, Femi Falana and Ifedapo Adedipe.

Agbakoba, who is a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association and a member of the CUPP, said without the signing of the bill, some of the challenges experienced in the 2015 elections would repeat themselves.

He expressed the expectation that the Senate would override Buhari’s decision to pave the way for a smoother electoral experience in 2019.

Agbakoba said, “The 2018 Electoral Bill is clearly better than the 2010 (Electoral Act) as it removed all the constraints and challenges that marred the 2015 elections.

“So, retaining the weaknesses of the 2010 (Electoral Act) on whether the card reader and transmission of results electronically are allowed is going to make the 2019 elections a lot more difficult and challenging. So, I expect the Senate to override the presidential veto.”

Ozekhome also said the National Assembly had the power to override the President’s decision.

He said, “The National Assembly can go ahead with two-thirds majority to overturn the President’s decision. If after 30 days he (President) declines his assent, the National Assembly can meet and by two-thirds majority counteract his decline of assent and the bill becomes a law automatically.”

Adedipe, in his remarks, said, “Any democrat who believes in a free, fair, credible and transparent election will be concerned. This is because the earlier Electoral Act was found to have some inadequacies and that was what gave rise for the need for an amendment.

“But now that the President, in his wisdom, clearly aided by his supporters, has refused to assent to the amendment, my worry is that before this government came on board, the various individual respected Nigerians were rather very vociferous in their request for a transparent election. And so, if the National Assembly dominated by members of your own party is trying to amend the law, it is curious that the President will refuse to assent, then you’ll begin to suspect that perhaps there’s more than meets the eye in the refusal. It is probably because the ruling party is afraid of transparent elections.

Falana recalled that he had warned relevant stakeholders to expedite the process of passing the new bill as passing a law within a period shorter than six months to the election had been prohibited under Article 2 of Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance of ECOWAS.

Falana said, “Once the President withholds his assent, the choice the National Assembly has is to override his assent.

Buhari finally declines assent after speculations

Buhari’s decision confirmed speculation that became rife after the bill spent nearly one month on his desk, that he would reject it.

By the provision of the constitution, the President is to either sign or write the National Assembly within 30 days of a piece of legislation being transmitted to him, conveying his decision/reasons to withhold his assent.

Buhari had thrice rejected the bill, the third time being August 30, when he returned it to the National Assembly.

The lawmakers quickly incorporated the areas the President raised objections to and sent the bill back to him for his assent on November 7.

The new bill has provisions to improve on the country’s electoral process ahead of the 2019 general elections, including the use of the card reader as the sole means of accreditation of voters.

In rejecting the bill on August 30, Buhari raised objections to 11 sections, all of which the National Assembly addressed in the latest version pending on his table.

The Chairman, House Committee on Electoral and Political Party Matters, Mrs. Aisha Dukku, had while briefing members on the bill shortly before it was passed on October 24, stressed that all the areas Buhari queried had been amended appropriately by the Senate/House joint committees.

Dukku, a member of the APC from Gombe State, had stated, “All the issues raised by Mr President have been captured and addressed.

“Both the Senate and the House worked on these amendments and all the issues have been addressed.”

The controversial sections that were corrected included 9,18, 27, 30, 34, 36, 44, 87,112,151.

For example, in Clause 87(14), one of the areas raised by Buhari on deadline for primary election, Dukku said the legislature addressed it by inserting “the date of the primaries shall not be earlier than 150 days and not later than 120 days before the date of election to the elective offices.”

The original provision that Buhari rejected captured 120 days and 90 days.

GrassRoots.ng is on a critical mission; to objectively and honestly represent the voice of ‘grassrooters’ in International, Federal, State and Local Government fora; heralding the achievements of political and other leaders and investors alike, without discrimination. This daily, digital news publication platform serves as the leading source of up-to-date information on how people and events reflect on the global community. The pragmatic articles reflect on the life of the community people, covering news/current affairs, business, technology, culture and fashion, entertainment, sports, State, National and International issues that directly impact the locals.

Continue Reading

GRPolitics

Breaking: ‘Welcome home,’ Gov Mbah Receives Edeoga Back to PDP

…‘You’re Enugu people’s choice,’ Edeoga tells governor

Published

on

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State welcome Edoga back to PDP
Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State welcoming Chijioke Edeoga back to PDP

Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Peter Mbah, on Wednesday, welcomed the gubernatorial candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in the 2023 governorship election, Hon. Chijioke Edeoga, back into the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, fold, commending the ex-opposition flagbearer for demonstrating that politics is not a do-or-die affair.

Mbah said that Edeoga’s return to the PDP was in line with the party’s principle of reconciliation and making the people, not personal ambition, the focus of governance, urging him and his supporters to feel very much at home.

This was even as the former gubernatorial candidate endorsed Mbah as the popular choice of the people of Enugu State, stressing that he had fully aligned with that choice.

Receiving Edoega in his office, in the company of party leaders led by the state party chairman, Dr. Martin Chukwunweike, Mbah said, “Welcome back home. The symbolism of your action is a mark of the enduring bond that runs in our party. I am indeed very delighted to have you back to rejoin your family.

“What we are witnessing today is a result of fence-mending consistent with the philosophy of our party – the imperatives of reconciliation.

“It is also a demonstration on your part that politics is not a do-or-die affair; that what we are currently doing in Enugu State appeals to you and you believe that it is working for the interest of the people and you have taken that decision to say, ‘Look, let us join hands together and serve our people.’

“I commend you greatly for making such a courageous bold step. The lesson for us is quite profound, as it shows that the common denominator even when we express our aspirations on different political platforms, is all about the people and making them the centerpiece of our ambitions.

“So, we will embrace you with our arms wide open. You are going to be treated as a member of PDP, which we know you are indeed. We look forward to working with you in the service of our people.”

Edeoga, on his part, commended Governor Mbah for making his return possible, describing it as a paradigm shift from politics of animosity and winner takes all to politics of empathy and people-centred development.

“I thank Your Excellency for overseeing the process that has culminated in my return to the PDP and my visit to your office. It is easy to downplay what has happened. But something like this has not happened in the annals of politics in Enugu State. I commend your wisdom, I commend your empathy, I commend your mental sagacity.

“What has happened here today will effect a paradigm shift in the way politics is played in Enugu State. It will no longer be winner takes all or politics being seen as a hostile or brutal activity. It has restored politics as just a contest of ideas and visions. These contesting visions were thrown open to the public and the people of Enugu State have made their choice, which I completely align myself with.

“Politics should be played without bitterness; it should be played without animosity and as much humanely as possible. Once the victor has emerged, the next thing is governance. The governance is ongoing and it is going very well. When it is time for politics, people are free to pursue their dreams. For now, it is time for governance.

“Anyone, who feels annoyed or deeply angered that Edeoga has taken this step of faith, I believe with time, they will align with the superior wisdom of those who are their leaders. Leadership comes with responsibilities and one of these responsibilities is to take a step of faith.

“Again, thank you for making my return to the PDP possible. I recommit myself to the ideals of PDP. As much as possible, I will work to ensure that PDP becomes victorious going forward,” he said.

Continue Reading

GRPolitics

Minister Commends Guards Brigade for Exceptional Service in Securing the Seat of Government

Published

on

Minister of State for Defence, H.E. Dr. Bello Mohammed Matawalle,
Minister of State for Defence, H.E. Dr. Bello Mohammed Matawalle at WASA 2024

The Minister of State for Defence, H.E. Dr. Bello Mohammed Matawalle, has expressed profound appreciation for the unwavering commitment and exemplary efforts of the Commander, officers, and personnel of the Guards Brigade in safeguarding the Federal Capital Territory and its environs.

In his remarks as the Special Guest of Honour at the 2024 West African Social Activity (WASA 2024) held in Abuja, the Minister stated, “Your loyalty, sacrifice, and dedication in executing your Presidential security duties, coordinating ceremonial parades, and managing operational challenges are commendable. Your proactive approach in addressing security threats has ensured the safety of the Presidency as well as that of citizens, visitors, and diplomats alike. I urge you to continue embodying compassion and empathy in your operations, striving for excellence in all your responsibilities.”

The Minister highlighted that the WASA event serves as a vibrant testament to the rich cultural heritage of Nigeria, as showcased by the personnel and families of the Guards Brigade. “The traditional dances and local delicacies on display tonight not only enhance our appreciation of our diverse cultures but also play a crucial role in preserving our cultural heritage and distinct identity,” he added.

In conclusion, the Minister called upon the Guards Brigade to uphold the trust placed in them by consistently meeting the challenges of their duties and ensuring that the flag of the Nigerian Armed Forces continues to fly high.

Earlier, Major General Adebisi Onosayan, Commander of the Guards Brigade, delivered a welcome address expressing gratitude to the President for his unwavering support of the Brigade’s operations, training, and welfare. “Thank you, Your Excellency. I also wish to extend my sincere appreciation to the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Army Staff for their relentless guidance and support. We pledge our unwavering loyalty and readiness to contribute effectively to the security of lives and property in the Federal Capital Territory and its surroundings,” he emphasized.

General Onosayan further noted that the 2024 WASA highlights the social diversity, cultural identity, values, beliefs, and rich heritage of the Nigerian people, resonating with the ethos of the Nigerian Army. “This event provides an opportunity to showcase various cultural dances, traditional cuisines, languages, attire, and ethnic groups of our great nation in a relaxed atmosphere,” he stated, adding that today’s event marks the Brigade’s Grand Finale.

Continue Reading

GRPolitics

Matawalle Commends President Tinubu for Positive Economic Reforms

…Matawalle urges critics to be positive in their narratives

Published

on

matawalle and Tinubu
R-l: President Bola Tinubu and Minister of State for Defence, Dr. Bello Muhammad Matawalle

The Honourable Minister of State for Defence, Dr. Bello Muhammad Matawalle, has praised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his robust economic policies and reforms, which are yielding significant positive results for the nation. According to Matawalle, these initiatives are contributing to a turnaround in the economy that will benefits all Nigerians.

In the light of ongoing criticism, particularly from some quarters in Northern Nigeria, according to a statement by Henshaw Ogubike, director information & PR at the Ministry, Matawalle urged critics to be positive in their narratives and called on citizens to remain steadfast in their support for the President and to reject divisive narratives.

“It is crucial for Nigerians to stand united behind Mr. President, who is diligently working hard to revitalize our economy through a series of effective policies, programs, and reforms,” he stated.

Matawalle specifically highlighted President Tinubu’s tax reforms as a pivotal element in the country’s economic turnaround. He explained that these reforms are designed to create a more equitable tax system, which will enhance revenue generation for the government while easing the financial burden on ordinary citizens and small businesses.

“By broadening the tax base and ensuring that everyone pays their fair share, President Tinubu is laying the groundwork for sustainable economic growth. These reforms will not only increase government revenues but also stimulate investment and job creation across various sectors,” Matawalle elaborated.

He further noted that the tax reforms aim to simplify the tax administration process, making it easier for individuals and businesses to comply. This will foster a more business-friendly environment, encouraging entrepreneurship and innovation, which are essential for driving economic progress.

Matawalle also highlighted several key achievements across various sectors, particularly noting improvements in national security. He emphasized that President Tinubu has made substantial strides in enhancing the capabilities of the Nigerian military through the provision of modern hardware and equipment. Additionally, he assured that military personnel have received timely payment of their allowances and salary increases, which has significantly boosted their morale.

“Under President Tinubu’s leadership, we are witnessing a renewed commitment to the safety and well-being of all Nigerians, and I encourage everyone to recognize the positive changes taking place,” Matawalle concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending