Sports
Ex-Super Eagles star, Efe Sodje and brothers land in UK jail for fraud


By: Nmerichukwu Igweamaka
Ex-footballers, Efe Sodje, 46, and Stephen Sodje, 43, and ex-rugby player Bright Sodje, 52, were found guilty and jailed for siphoning-off cash from their own charity set up to help African children, BBC reports.
This was made known on Monday following the conclusion of a separate trial involving former Reading and Nigeria footballer Sam Sodje, 39.
Sam was cleared of money laundering charges.
The fraud trial, which began in 2017 had heard how the family set up the Sodje Sports Foundation (SSF) in 2009, ostensibly to help provide facilities in Nigeria.
However, cash raised at black-tie dinners, auctions, charity football matches and a clay pigeon shoot went into Sodje bank accounts, prosecutor Julian Christopher QC said.
In once instance, in 2011, there was a gala dinner at the Lowry Hotel in Manchester for the SSF and the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
The £150-a-head black-tie event raised almost £11,500, but Mr Christopher said “not a penny” went to the hospital.
Judge Michael Topolski QC told the defendants: “You have brought shame to your family. At least £63,000 can been shown to have been received by the fund.”
He added that the £63,000 did not include cash donations.
“The defendants went out of their way to ensure that proper records were not kept. Any good works done in the past would be forever tainted by their dishonest and disreputable conduct,” the Judge added.
Stephen Sodje, of Bexley, was sentenced to two years and six months in prison for receiving £30,000 in charity funds.
Efe Sodje, of Cheadle in Greater Manchester, who was “the face” of the charity, was given 18 months in jail for receiving £7,500 from the SSF and an unknown amount from a clay pigeon shooting event.
Bright Sodje, of Sale in Greater Manchester, was jailed for 21 months for receiving £3,000 from the charity and signing cheques to other family members totalling £18,000.
Efe Sodje was cleared of money laundering at the Old Bailey in January 2018 but Emmanuel Ehikhamen, 53, of south-east London, and Andrew Oruma, 50, of Bexley, south London, were convicted.
The case against Sam Sodje collapsed and his retrial began on 7 January 2019.
Mr Sodje, who also played for Charlton Athletic, Brentford and Leeds United during his career, was charged with four counts of taking part in a fraud in which bank accounts were used to channel money from companies around the world.
He was found not guilty of two of the charges on 14 January and cleared of the remaining two counts earlier on Monday.
Another of the brothers, Akpo Sodje, 37, was implicated but moved to Dubai and refused to return to Britain for questioning.


…reaffirms MTN Nigeria’s support following ‘draw’ with Zimbabwe.
MTN Nigeria, the official telecommunications partner of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF), has reiterated its unwavering support for the Super Eagles following their spirited draw with Zimbabwe in the World Cup qualifier match at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo, Akwa Ibom.
Building on the momentum from their recent victory against Rwanda, MTN Nigeria had expressed strong backing for the national team ahead of the crucial fixture. Tobe Okigbo, MTN Nigeria’s Chief Corporate Services & Sustainability Officer, stated before the game, “We are confident in the team’s ability to make Nigeria proud and qualify for the World Cup.”
Despite the draw, MTN Nigeria’s CEO, Karl Toriola, maintained a positive outlook. “While tonight’s outcome wasn’t what we hoped for, we remain steadfast in our support for the Super Eagles. This result is just part of the journey towards World Cup qualification, and we believe in the team’s resilience and ability to succeed,” Toriola said.
The match showcased the Super Eagles’ grit and determination as they found their rhythm against the Zimbabwean side. Nigeria scored the first goal, demonstrating their prowess and fighting spirit, although the match ultimately ended in a draw. This result has added to the excitement of Nigeria’s path to the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
MTN Nigeria, which signed a deal with the NFF in 2021 as the Official Telecoms Partner, has been a constant pillar of support for Nigerian football for over two decades. The company’s commitment extends from grassroots to national levels, investing significantly in the development of local football.
“Our support for the Super Eagles and all national teams is part of our long-standing tradition,” Toriola added. “We are building a sustainable legacy of collaboration, growth, and development in the football space. Tonight’s result doesn’t change our belief in the team’s potential to make all Nigerians proud on the global stage. We believe in our Eagles.”
As the Super Eagles regroup and prepare for their next qualifier, MTN Nigeria has called on all Nigerians to rally behind the team. The company emphasized that this is a crucial time for unity and continued support, expressing confidence that the Super Eagles will overcome this challenge and strive towards securing a spot in the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
Sports
Portugal Football Club Signs on 19-Year-Old Nigerian- born Footballer, Yaqub Usman-Malah
Reporter: Sandra Ani


Brito Sporting Club of Portugal, a football club founded in 1956, has signed an official contract with a United Kingdom-based highly-talented, young Nigeria-born footballer, Yaqub Usman-Malah.
The official unveiling of the young promising footballer was carried out on Saturday, January 4, 2025.
Yaqub, born in Nigeria in 2006, is a budding Nigerian talent with unquantifiable promise and potential.
Prior to his official contract with Brito Sporting Club of Portugal, he was a student and a trainee player with the Brooke College Football Academy in the United Kingdom.
At Brooke College Football Academy, Yaqub had an impressive goal average of 17 goals in 32 matches with no injuries in 116 training days, cumulating into 2, 270 minutes of on-field action.
A clear testimony of his outstanding performance at the Academy was provided by the lead coach of the Under-17B team Yaqub played with.
The lead coach, Tomasz Wasylik, described Yaqub as a ‘well-liked person’ and a role model to his teammates due to his professionalism and unmatched work rate.
The Lead Coach further stated that Yaqub has played in National School Cup competitions against other colleges and programmes in the 2023/2024 session and is a good ‘tactical player’, ‘technically good” and can ‘play in multiple positions on the field’.
It is expected that Yaqub will live to the potential and promise identified by Coach Tomasz Wasylik of the Brooke College Football Academy and achieve greatness in his new club.
“While looking forward to the display of his unarguable skills and boundless stamina, we wish Yaqub a successful career and a place in the halls of football greatness across the globe,” Yaqub’s father, Mr Usman Malah said in a statement issued to the media, on Wednesday 8, 2025.
Sports
QNET and Man City Mark 10th Anniversary of their Partnership


Man City counts 28 trophies in the last 10 yearsQNET, an Asian direct selling giant and Manchester City, a top Football club in and outside England, are celebrating 10 years of partnership with great results.
The anniversary was part of the 26th V-Malaysia Conference (VCON) at Penang in Malaysia.
The long-standing partnership will see QNET continue as Official Direct Selling Partner for City’s men’s and women’s teams, according to Techeconomy report.
This partnership marked a significant milestone in May 2018 when City welcomed QNET as the first sleeve partner in the Women’s Super League.


Throughout the next phase of this partnership QNET will continue to provide City-led football clinics to communities around the world, as well as engaging with consumers and distributors through this relationship with City.
In a message to the leaders of QNET and the 8,000 VCON participants from over 30 countries, Ferran Soriano, the chief executive officer of Manchester City FC, said they are pleased to achieve great milestones that would not have been possible without the support and the commitment of everybody at QNET, “and every single one of you. I do remember back in 2014 when I met the leadership of QNET for the first time, and we discussed our plans, our ambitions, and we promised a lot.
“We promised that Manchester City would be a great football team, and that they would play beautiful football. Now, 10 years since then, we hold 28 trophies. I have to be honest and say that when we promised we were going to do well, we didn’t think we were going to win 28 trophies.
“We’re excited now we’re starting a new season, and guess what? We want to win again, and if we do, it would be another record. Maybe we can win the fifth Premier League in a row. Obviously, something that hasn’t happened before. I can promise that we will fight for all the trophies like you fight for all your objectives. Manchester City and QNET have the incredible power to engage people from every country, create a sense of community and empower individuals and teams to achieve their aspirations”.
He promised Manchester City’s support to the QNET brand to achieve even more successes in the coming years.
Trevor Kuna, the CEO of QNET said that the partnership with Manchester City has made positive impacts on the business.
QNET’s grass-roots business model enables ordinary people from all walks of life to start their own business with minimal overhead.
With hard work and dedication, QNET distributors, known as Independent Representatives (IRs) have the opportunity to become economically self-sufficient, raising the standard of life for their families and communities.
QNET is driven by two important philosophies: RYTHM (Raise Yourself to Help Mankind) and InService.
Meanwhile, the highlight of the QNET and Manchester City celebration was the presentation of a 10-year partnership anniversary plaque by John Kirton, senior partnership marketing manager, Manchester City Football Club to the QNET team.