Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Edo State Government Declares Curfew

Published

on

Governor Godwin Obaseki has declared a state of emergency in Edo State following reports that the prison in Benin was broken.

The curfew is to take effect from 4:00 pm, October 19, 2020, till further notice, the secretary to the state government, Osarodion Ogie announced.

Ogie said the imposition of the curfew was due to the incidents of vandalism and attacks carried out by hoodlums who hijacked the #ENDSARS protests.

“This decision has become necessary because of the very disturbing incidents of vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums in the guise of the #ENDSARS protests.

“While the government of Edo State respects the rights of its citizens to undertake legitimate protests, it cannot sit idly when hoodlums have taken laws into their hands to cause mayhem on innocent citizens and the state,” Ogie said.

Schools and businesses are to shutdown activities accordingly, following the announcement.

Those who cannot move safely are advised to stay put between now and 4:00pm till calmness is restored.

Suspected hoodlums had earlier on Monday morning hijacked the #EndSARS Protests in Benin City.

The Special Adviser to Governor Godwin Obaseki on Media, Crusoe Osagie, told Channels Television that the hoodlums exchanged fire with security operatives at the Maximum prison in Benin City.

“The hoodlums are currently exchanging fire with the security personnel at the Maximum security prison in Oko, Benin City,” Osagie told Channels Television.

The hoodlums can be seen in videos invading the Benin Medium security prison on Sapele Road, releasing some inmates.

Advertisement

News

STOP THE GENOCIDE: DSS Arrests Man Who Protested Alone In Abuja

Published

on

The Department of State Services on Wednesday arrested a Lagos based lawyer and activist, Malcolm Omirhobo at the Presidential Villa gate in Abuja while embarking on a “one-man protest” against the killing of at least 43 farmers in Borno State.

The lawyer, who arrived at the gate at about 9 am and clad in a customised T-Shirt with an inscription, “Stop The Genocide” alongside some journalists, was whisked away by the officers in a Gestapo manner.

Omirhobo had come to the villa gate to protest against the gruesome killing of the rice and fish farmers in Zabarmari community.

The activist was stopped by the policemen attached to the gate near the Federal Secretariat while heading toward the Presidential Villa.

An argument ensued in the process as the lawyer insisted on seeing President Muhammadu Buhari in order to tell him to stop the carnage and the senseless killing of Nigerians in the country.

The police put a call to one of their superior officers, Hadejia, who appealed and pacified Omirhobo to write a formal letter if he wanted to have an audience with the President.

But trouble started when the armed DSS officials arrived at the scene, descended on the activist and harassed the journalists covering the scene.

Addressing journalists before his arrest, Omirhobo said he had come to the Presidential Villa to protest peacefully against the institutionalised and systemic genocide going on in Nigeria.

He said, “Coming on the heels of the slaughtering of 110 farmers in Borno State, I am here to tell the President that enough is enough. He should stop playing the ostrich because the government is backing all the evils perpetrated by these evil people killing innocent and harmless Nigerians.

“I am saying it categorically that the government is conniving, conspiring and assisting this crime against humanity, and that is why I am here to protest. I came

Continue Reading

News

Okonjo-Iweala Named Forbes Africa Person Of The Year

Published

on

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has been named Forbes Africa Person of the Year 2020.

She is Nigeria’s former Finance Minister and a candidate for the office of the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO),

Forbes Africa announced this on Tuesday via a post on its official handle @forbesafrica.

“The 2020 #AfricanOftheYear Award honoree is…Congratulations to Dr. @NOlweala! Board Chair @Gavi; Board Chair @ARCapicity, gracing the cover of @forbesafrica,” the tweet read.

Continue Reading

News

Boko Haram Releases New Video Claiming Responsibility For #Zabarmarimassacre

Published

on

The Abubakar Shekau’s faction of Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the killing the over 43 farmers in Zabarmari area of Borno state last weekend.

In a new three minutes 37-second video obtained by Grassroots.ng, the sect members said they carried out the attack because the farmers arrested one of its members and handed him to the Nigerian military.

“You think you can nab our brother and hand him to soldiers and live in peace,” a masked commander of the group asked in the video. You think Allah will forget what you have done to our brother”a masked commander of the group asked

The commander also swore that those who have arrested Boko Haram terrorists or have been spying on them and have not repented will be given the same treatment.

“The third message is on those who notoriously nab our brethren and hand them to the military or give them a clue on us. You should know that, unless you repent, what happened to your people is awaiting you.” he warned

On Saturday, November 28, the sect members stormed the rice farmland and killed over 43 farmers. They tied their hands before beheading them one after the other.

Continue Reading

Trending