Connect with us

Education

Police Arrest UTME Candidate Who Tampered With Result

Published

on

The police have arrested a 19-year-old candidate in the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination for allegedly tampering with his result.

The spokesman of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Fabian Benjamin, said the arrest followed the suspect’s claim of scoring 380 in the examination conducted in June.

“After several enquiries, 265 kept appearing as his score as against the 380 score,” the JAMB spokesman said via a statement issued on Friday.

Following the alleged alteration of the UTME score, Benjamin said the teenager’s father, John Ifenkpam approached an Enugu-based lawyer, Ikeazor Akaiwe who wrote to JAMB for another opportunity for the boy to retake the examination and demanded N1 billion as damages.

The lawyer was said to have demanded the sum to cover for the physical and emotional trauma the boy had being through from being offered “two separate scores.”

READ ALSO: Do Not Sell Lands To ‘Selfish Politicians’, Ishaku Warns Mambilla Residents

According to JAMB spokesman, the suspect claimed that his UTME scores from 2019 till 2021 had been “altered” by the board, thereby denying him the opportunity to study his desired course – medicine.

It was gathered that the candidate travelled to Abuja from Enugu with his father and lawyer on Friday to honour an invitation from the management of the board led by the Registrar of JAMB, Prof Ishaq Oloyede.

“Initially, the boy was given few minutes to “come clean” in a closed session with his father and lawyers about the results he was parading but insisted that his original score from the examination was 380.

“After going back and forth, the board tendered evidence to counter the claim by John and his legal representatives.

At the Friday meeting, documentary evidence tendered by the board showed that John actually scored 265 not the 380 he had claimed,” the statement added.

On his part, the JAMB Registrar accused the candidate of result tempering, noting that he will be investigated and subsequently prosecuted by the police.

Professor Oloyeded said he was among 11 eleven other candidates who allegedly forged their results that the board would prosecute, adding that the original result issued would be withdrawn pending the end of the investigation.

“We have 11 of them who tampered with their results. Two of them are already being prosecuted. The remaining ones we are going to withdraw their results and prosecute them. The main purpose is to sanitise the system, including our own staff,” the Registrar was quoted as saying.

“There was never any communication of 380 with this boy. Because this boy has accused JAMB, we are going to withhold his result until the investigation is concluded. We are going to request that our interactions with him be subjected to the public.”

On his part, the candidate’s lawyer, Ikeazor, appealed to the board to instead give room for further infestation.

He said, “I will not stand against the investigation. Let there be an investigation but what I will not agree to is to prejudge him.”

But the candidate had insisted that “The result I have been receiving is not the result I am entitled to. I wrote the first JAMB in 2019. The first time they sent 328 later I saw 278 score when I checked it. I printed it. I couldn’t meet up for admission that year. I wanted to study medicine and surgery at the University of Ibadan.

“In 2020 the same thing happened. I scored 343 by the time I went to the portal to print I saw 306. I used the 306 and it gave me admission in UI. But because I didn’t have further mathematics, I had to forfeit it.

“I decided to leave medicine and surgery for them in 2021 so I picked petroleum engineering. In 2021, JAMB issued me two results. I saw 380 the first time I checked then the second I saw 265.”

Continue Reading

Education

Ban Govt Officials From Sending Their Kids To School Abroad – ASUU

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has called on the National Assembly to create laws that prohibit government officials from sending their children to school abroad.

The president of the union, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, gave the charge in Abuja at a meeting with the Minister of Labour and Employment and other representatives of the Federal Government.

According to ASSU, the decay currently allowed and experienced in public universities is because the children of government officials are sent to study abroad, hence, making the officials act apathetic towards the many issues experienced in Nigerian public schools.

Osodeke added that government officials in the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration should be made to withdraw their children from foreign universities and enrolled in Nigeria public universities, while the government also makes it mandatory for all appointees to have their children attend universities in the country, and those whose children cannot school in Nigeria should not be appointed

Continue Reading

Education

Buhari Approves N75,000 As Stipend For B.Ed Undergraduates, N50,000 For NCE Students

Published

on

As part of the efforts to attract the best brains into the teaching profession, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the sum of N75,000 as a stipend per semester for undergraduates undergoing degree programs in Education.

He also approved N50,000 for Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) students.

The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu announced this, on Tuesday, at the World Teachers’ Day celebration held at Eagle Square, Abuja.

Adamu whose speech was read by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Arc. Sonny Echono said his ministry would collaborate with the states’ government to ensure automatic employment for the students on graduation.

He said: “Undergraduate students of B.Ed / B.A. Ed/ BSc. Ed in Public institutions are to receive stipends of N75,000.00 per semester while NCE students will get N50,000.00 as stipends per semester.

“Federal Government should find the modality through which respective states’ governments could provide automatic employment for NCE graduates at Basic Education level.”

Continue Reading

Education

“SSS1, SSS2 Students Won’t Be Allowed To Take WASSCE, NECO, NABTEB” – FG

Published

on

The students in Senior Secondary School one and two will not be allowed to take West African Senior School Certificate Examination, the National Examination Council, and National Business and Technical Examinations Board, the Federal Government has said.

This was contained in a circular issued by the Federal Ministry of Education to pricipals of federal unity schools.

It was titled In the circular with no: FME/DBSE/US/DOC/III/16 and signed by the ministry’s Director Senior Secondary Education, Hajia Binta Abdulkadir.

The circular was confirmed by the Director of Press and Public Relations, Ben Bem Goong, on Friday.

In the circular, the government threatened to expel any SSS One and Two students who take the exams.

This, the education ministry, said would help to maintain decorum and boost standards of education in schools.

The circular read, “The ministry’s attention has been drawn to the flagrant disregard to its directive on (the) writing of external examinations such as NABTEB (NTC and NBC), WASSCE, NECO (SSCE) by SS1 and SS2 students.

“Students who are involved in the practice find it difficult to settle down on serious studies. They become unruly and distract other students from achieving their goals.

“Any student caught to have written any of the above examinations in SS1 or SS2 classes will be expelled from the college. All students must write these examinations after they have been duly registered for the examination by the college.

“All students of Federal Unity College should adhere strictly to the content of this circular. And Principals are advised to bring the content of this circular to the knowledge of all parents of the college”.

Continue Reading

Trending