The National Assembly on Wednesday announced the suspension of the Special Public Works programme under the National Directorate of Employment following the heated argument between lawmakers and Festus Keyamo, the Minister of Employment, Labour, Productivity.
Grassroots.ng had earlier reported that the lawmakers on Tuesday, walked Keyamo out of a hearing following his refusal to apologise after the legislators accused him of raising his voice against them.
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari, had approved the engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians under the scheme.
The programme was expected to take off in October this year.
The spokesperson for the Senate, Ajibola Basiru, who announced the suspension of the programme at a press conference in Abuja, said the National Assembly has summoned the Minister in charge of the Ministry to appear before the federal legislature, to explain the recruitment modalities.
He said, “In view of the foregoing, the implementation of the programme shall be on hold pending proper briefing of the National Assembly by the Minister of Labour and Productivity.”